Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Temperature reading low - SLR

finmac

My car temp gauge seems to read quite low and wondered if it's liable to be the sensor or the gauge itself out of calibration?

If the latter then any recommendations for recalibration/replacement please? The complication being the car has JPE yellow faced dials in it, so I guess it will need rebuilt?

The reading goes up and down sensibly and consistently... but seems too low?

The complication being the car has JPE yellow faced dials...

I'm not familiar with those... are they analogue dials? Can you add a photo?

Jonathan

PS: Sensors need to match gauges, but most sensors seem to be available, and if not there may be a bit of resistance trickery that would help. Internal faults in analogue dials can probably be rectified by eg John Ostick.

Yes seems to work OK just readings are low. 

The guages are just like standard Caterham analogue guages but yellow faces - as was installed standard in JPE, it was an extra back when the car was new in 99.

Thts a good point re the thermostat, I will remove it and see if it's working OK

Yes.

I'd start by seeing what the gauge shows when the connection to the sensor is open circuit and short circuit. And measuring the resistance across the disconnected sensor when the engine is cold and hot.

Jonathan

PS: There seem to be a lot more reports of 7s not getting up to expected temperature than used to be the case...