Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Bolt size and length and now resistors?

Andy Lef

Thanks again

I have an M5 handy so will try that when i get the chance.  I in tend to just use the center hole for the PCLIP - if that doesn't work i will move on to the hinge.  I think that the center hole will give me the best seating.

unless the wisdom on here decrees otherwise?

I have the maplin version tye wrapped to the cage diagonal, using the lugs either side. I looked at using the threaded brass insert but thought it looked quite fragile and would get pulled out if the lamp were knocked. I also used the Caterham wiring loom extension and added an in line resistor to protect the LED's, as described in forum posts.

Ian

As Ian suggests, these lamps come without a current limiting resistor and will burn out rapidly if some form of current limiting isn't included when connected to the car's nominal 12V supply. 

As a minimum you should add a 15 Ohm 2 Watt resistor in series.  This will get quite hot so make sure it's mounted in the clear.  Maplin 15 Ohm 3 Watt (Maplin code 15R) will do the job.

Paul

If they're LEDs then they'll all need resistors in series.  Other than the indicators, as to whether there are resistors already fitted, the webpage is silent.  I would suggest a phone call to check and also establish the rated current for each lamp so the correct resistor value(s) can be calculated. 

Although tempting, I wouldn't common up the lamps into pairs to share a resistor as you could find one lamp with a slightly lower forward voltage hogging the current, leaving the other one dim or extinguished.

BTW the price for the resistors seems extortionate *yikes*

Paul

Paul thanks

LED indicators have new electronic LED flasher relay in the fuse box so that covers off the resistor for them.

Suspect that I wil have to fit one each to the Tail/Brake clusters for each side? 

In line resistor to reduce power to LED = resistor added to positive wire from power to light............  confirm for a electrical novice?  *coffee*

and yes the resistors must be something prety special to cost that much!

Yes, that's right, resistor in series (in line) with the positive connection to each light.  To calculate the value of the resistor you need to know the rated current and the forward voltage (Vf) of the light element.  Assuming the supply is 13.8 volts, (Vs), subtract lamp voltage (=Vs-Vf) and divide by the current in amps.  This gives the value of the resistor ® in Ohms.  Note:  the lamp current may be specified in milliamps (mA) which is one thousandth of an amp.  In which case R=(Vs-Vf)/mA X 1000.

e.g. if Vf = 9.6V and current = 250mA, R=((13.8 - 9.6) / 250) X 1000  = 16.8 Ohms.  Nearest 'preferred value = 15 Ohms.

Resistor Wattage = amps squared X R.

In above example = .25 (250mA/1000) X.25 X 15 Ohms = ~ 1Watt.  Always go higher with Wattage so 2W in this case.

The above example is for the Maplin 52mm LED cluster that can be used as a race rain light and is much higher powered, and hence current, than I would expect your new lights to be.

If you need help with the calculations, just sing out.

Paul