Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Main/Full beam not working

GPBox

Hi all, 2001 K-Series SS. Just noticed (on way to Donington) that my front side lights work, but I have no main or full beam front lights.

Rear lights work ok, front side lights ok. I can use flash switch and main beam flashes...I've checked bulbs they are both ok. Indicators work ok.

I've swapped relay for one of the others..no difference.

Checked both fused - they are ok.

Checked connection to light switch that seems ok.

What I don't seem to be able to 'feel' is the lights relay actually clicking when I switch lights on (when I test the relay on the bench there is a definite click when apply power.)

As the side lights use the same earth as the main bulb..don't think its a 'head lamp end' earth issue.

Do the relays share the same earth connection in the fuse block ?..where is the each point for the fuse block/relays ?

Any other ideas as to the cause ?

thanks all

Graham 

... but I have no main or full beam front lights.

How about dipped beams?

Main beam working on the flasher switch but not the main switch... sounds like a problem with the latter, either internal or the connection.

Can you detect the relay acting when you close the flasher switch?

Do you have a multimeter?

Does the main/dip switch let you easily swap the dip and main outputs?

If you'd like a wiring diagram please send me a Private Message with your email address.

Jonathan

PS: Where are you? I'm in Garsington.

... I don't have dipped beams either.

Forget swapping the outputs as a diagnostic test.

Without disconnecting anything test the two switches and connections:

1. Main light switch: Measure the voltage relative to a good earth at the feed and each of the outputs (side, head) with the switch in each of its three positions.
  2. If that's all OK ditto for the full/dipped switch, with headlights on at the main switch!

Jonathan

Problem sourced and 'fixed'....Head lamp relay had a bad connection on the 'switch' side..ie spade connector inside the fuse housing needed clearing....once done....we have lights again !...thanks for comments Jonathan & Mort.

cheers Graham