Click here if you are having website access problems ×

spare 12v connectors in engine bay?

Rusty Nuts Garage

I'm looking for 12v to power my led DRLs. At the front of my mate's car, there are a pair near the nose cone, BUT, in my car, the same pair only read 5v for some reason (same with the engine running). Why would they be there, what would need 5v in the engine bay, any ideas?

Are there any more connectors available in the engine bay, or do I run a 12v pair from the fuse box?

Which model and age?

Is that 5 V between the pair or to earth? And is the voltage affected by the ignition being off or on?

What colour are the existing wires? And are they the same colour in the other car?

How are you going to switch the new lights? Always on with the ignition on?

Jonathan

5v between the pair.  voltage was with ignition on (didn't check with it off because i assumed same as my mate's). Not decided about switching independently to be honest, haven't given it much thought, because I'm only using two 9W white leds. (one either side of the seven behind the grill).

Haven't checked the colour, (not in your face red n black though).

cheers 

Keith

Are there any more connectors available in the engine bay, or do I run a 12v pair from the fuse box?

Assuming you want it switched with the ignition (but 12V !) I don't know any convenient points for that model.

If that doesn't work out then yes, the fuse box might be convenient. A piggyback fuse as in the photo below might be the easiest connection. Remember to protect the wire with grommets etc if you have to go through a a panel and tether it appropriately. You only need a feed as you can use any convenient earthing point.

%24_58.JPG

Jonathan