Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Front bearing perished seal- help..what's involved?

mossy7

So.. In my efforts to find an annoying click from the front O/S as the wheel rotates, I find the front O/S disc is warped. Replace both today and discover the front O/S inner bearing seal is perished. There is still a small amount of movement in the disc as it rotates. This means it will eventually warp the disc, so I need to sort this perished seal. 

So.. What's involved? Whole new hub assembly? Both sides obviously... Or what? .. Sounding expensive already. 

Help! 

Hub surface to disc seems fine, no contamination and a clean fit. I've purchased two new (Best do both sides) bearing kits from CC and will let you know how I get on. As an aside it's a rubber seal and the new kits are apparently uprated versions as they look naff all like the ones on the car! 

Make sure you work plenty of grease into the new bearings. Don't just fill the void in the hub .... it won't get in to the bearings from here. Work it in to the bearings with your fingers. Have seen many Caterham where bearings weren't greased from new builds !

Thanks for the advice. Here's hoping new bearings and discs will stop the contact on caliper from hub carrier.. ( if correct term but which wheel is bolted to) once on each rotation causing the ticking noise which was driving me crazy.

Is the caliper centred abut the disc ? If not .... are the bearing cups driven fully home both sides of the central register. Are any washers required on the caliper fixing bolts to position the caliper correctly ?

Dear Mr SM25T,

please tell me more about washers to correctly position the calliper... Can this be adjusted vertically away from the hub slightly? I don't know much about mechanics but boy is his car teaching me! 

I changed from standard Triumph front calipers to lightweight and pretty HiSpec 4 pot calipers. You can put flat washers between the mounting ears and caliper to even up the clearance between disc and caliper if necessary. Obviously same number and thickness on each bolt.