Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DCOEs Numpty Question

virden

My X/F will not start and having checked that it is getting sparks I am looking at fuel. The supply to the carbs is strong, but when I look down the trumpets it seems very little  is being squirted into the venturi, when I open the throttles.  I have taken the top covers off to check the floats and inlet valves and have noticed that when I open the throttles the neither of the pump rods move.... should they?

I don't know the answer to your question - sorry. But do you prime the carbs before trying to start? 3 full presses on the throttle helps enormously...... but you probably already know that!

Not really a numpty question - more a sensible one!

Yes, they should move. They rise up when the throttle is shut and fall back down when the throttle is opened. They can gum up and get stuck which can usually be fixed with some squirts of carburettor cleaner, or even moving them up and down by hand until they become freer.

Unfortunately, although I'm in good health, I'm not sure I'll have enough time left on this planet to cover it. Best to regard the thing as an illicit lover - she'll cause you enormous amounts of grief, but the highs will be orgasmic!