Click here if you are having website access problems ×

mg/rover MFU unit and female plug

TomGaval

Had a issue with my car not starting after a trailering it home from the track.  Ran fine first day on track but start for the 4th session of the first day.  finally turned over and ran fine during the session. and then ran fine the next day for two session, before I packed up and left.  Unloading it from the trailer a few hours later it would crank well but not catch.   Mechanic tells me today that the MFU is toast and I also need the female plug to it as well as there seems to be some burn marks on it.  So my question is where can I find those two parts???

Mg/rover parts aren't really availble here in the states.  Tom

Hi Jonathan.

Engine is the 2.3L Cosworth Duratec.  Funny thing is that on my other car with the EU2 RoverK, there is no MFRU, just a couple relays.  Wonder if I could do that on this car?

Part number of the MFRU is  YWB100970  

Looks like it's not a US part.  So I'll be calling the UK parts distributors.  I have the part number for the MFRU and have found the part online. 

Does anyone know the part number for the large square female connector?  I can't seem to find it on any of the parts catalogues. 

Tom

Connector housing is AMP 344079-1 (Econoseal III 250 Series 8 Way Receptacle Housing)

Terminals are 571-170258-1 (They look like normal spade connectors but a lot of spade connectors won't lock into the housing, best to use the proper ones but if you can't get hold of them, get some where the "rolled over" edges pretty much meet in the middle rather than just gripping the edges of the male terminals and they should work).

This is a complete kit available in the UK but you can probably find the same in the US.

https://www.simtekuk.co.uk/product.php/250_series_female_8_way_connector/?k=:::1593620

I love Blatchat.  Ever since I bought and assembled my first RoverK engined car in 2000, I have depended heavily on the support of you guys and I look forward to my Lowflying every month.

Caterhams are rare enough in the States, and a RoverK is like hen's teeth, so you are really my lifeline.   Surprisingly enough the RoverK series has actually been more reliable than my Duratec engined beast.  But as you can see, I still depend on you guys to help me keep it running too.

Jonathan, Ian and Andrew, Thanks again for your amazingly prompt support.  I ordered the MFRU from Rimmer Bros. and the Simtek plug kit this morning.  Assuming the mail and Customs don't delay the delivery too much, I should be able to get back on the track in time for my next event. 

Thanks again.

Tom