Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Longer 6th Gear

JasonNT

Hi Folks,

I have a six speed box and was wondering if anyone had replaced 6th with a longer gear ratio?

5th and 6th are pretty close together and the Cat is screaming its head-off on a motorway. It would be nice to drop in a longer 6th with a view to having a more reasonable rev count.

Any thoughts or advice?

Thanks

Jason

The 6th gear ratio is 1:1 and you cannot change this so if you want to reduce the revs at 70 mph you will need to change the diff. Do you know what ratio you have, this is likely to be could be 3.6 although some have a 3.9. If you change the diff ratio it will impact on acceleration. What engine do you have?

Pick a calculator, change the final drive value and see the effect on engine speed at 70 mph etc. Those calculators also allow you to predict the speed in any gear once you've entered the ratios. 

:-)

Jonathan

PS: I'd measure the final drive ratio directly: jack up the back end, turn a road wheel by hand and count the ratio of turns of the prop shaft to turns of the wheel.

That'll only work if the diff locks or is very stiff - either the other wheel will spin the other way and the prop stays still, or the prop will rotate twice as fast as ou expect.

I've always want a longer 6th - or an overdrive.   But I've been prepared to accept the tradeoff for the better acceleration which I use more often.

Given a suitable amount of cash, some drawings or a box to take apart and reverse engineer, I would have thought it wasn't impossible to make 6th into a overdrive ratio like the 5spd?

The low flying archivist Martin Phipps checked my ratio during one of his visits to Caterham. My six speed has a 3.92 final drive. It works out to about 4100 rpm at 70 mph with a Zetec engine and 16" wheels.