Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1996 speedometer wanted

Andy Doughty

My 1996 vintage speedo won't go faster than 60 mph (which might be an advantage if stopped by the boys in blue!)

I've tried it off the car with a battery drill and it's the unit it's self.

Anyone got a similar speedo stored away that they may wish to sell?

I'm looking for a Caterham branded unit which is mechanical drive but, if you have a later model which is electronic then I would be interested.

It would be nice to have an accurate speedo for a change.

Regards

Andy D

Hi Jonathan

Yes you are right. It's been repaired and recalibrated before and has never been very good. It's got 65K miles as well.

Speedy Cable have quoted £110 plus vat, plus packaging which makes it debatable if it's beyond economic repair.

I tend to watch my bike speedo for accurate speed it's that bad.

Cheers

Hi Nick

I will message you to give my private mail but I may have sorted this.

I have had it in bits, broke the glass in the process but the local glazier is making me a new one.

I think it's working and had it on a drill and managed 160 mph  with no problem!

message on the way.

cheers

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Andy (small world - glad to here you still have a seven).

ive recently bought a 96 caterham (finally) and my Speedo stopped working properly today. again it will not read over 60 mph. initially the needle was bouncing between 40 and 80. i know im definitely going faster than 60. How did you overcome the problem?

David

Hi Dave

Are you still involved with 645? Massive changes to the whole organisation I hear as I'm still in touch with Paul Watts who runs the simulators.

The speedo was a challenge! It appeared to work on the bench but now it's still playing up in the car. The cable drive is ok but it is definitely sticking again.

At the moment I'm using the bike speedo fitted 10 years ago which is still reliable.

So-

check the cable drive is ok by disconnecting it from the back of the speedo and get a passenger to try to stop the cable spinning. Drive slowly though otherwise it will hurt and you will crash! The angle drive from the gearbox can wear and cause a problem resulting in a jumpy drive. There is a short bit of square drive that can wear.

If it is the actual speedo then you have to get the front glass off by carefully pealing back the brass ring. To be honest it's a total pain in the butt and it may be you have to send it away and bite the bullet like I might. I'm still a tight yorkshireman that doesn't like being beaten by a machine so I'm going to have another go first.

cheers

Andy D

HI Andy,

Ii am in the process of returning. just waiting for my clearance. cant be a cgi anymore need to be a snco aircrew.

i will try out what you have suggested in the meantime ive downloaded a free gps speedometer app for my iphone!!

regards,

David