Click here if you are having website access problems ×

SS K Series Camshafts

p.mole1

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Richard,

Thanks,but camshafts in my cylinder head are using a solid tappet type, I think some of the 1.4 Supersport Caterhams also had solid tappets and I can't seem to find the clearances for those either.

I assume they would be similar.

Hi Oily,

I have checked all the clearances. Is there any tolerance on the clearances,all the inlets are between 8 and 10 thou and all the exhausts are 12 thou apart from cylinder no 4 which are 10 and 8 thou. I am running a standard 1.4 SS ECU with a 7600rpm limiter and as yet have not had any problems with the current hydraulic tappets.

Should I keep the solid tappets or switch to hydraulic tappets for an easier option

Thanks

Phil

• 3 weeks later...

I have just checked the camshaft timing on my standard 1.4 SS and I have 24 thou on the inlet and 65 thou on the exhaust. I think that is 10 deg retarded on the inlet and about 4 deg advanced on the exhaust?. It's + or - 1 degree as I have been using one dial gauge and a 360 degree so I may have a spot of parallax error.

Could this explain why the car has always felt a bit flat? it runs ok with no transmission shunt but nothing happens until 5000 rpm. I have always found the performance of this car a bit underwhelming.

I am tempted to try it in it's standard form with properly timed cams before I fit the Janspeed head on with the 774 cams. Still trying to identify these!   

64 thou on the exhaust certainly isn't advanced by 4 degrees, its more likely retarded by 4 degrees, 

lift at TDC should be around 60 on the inlet and 50 on the exhaust, that makes the inlet around 11 degrees retarded and the exhaust around 5 degrees retarded. The retardation of the inlet cam will kill mid range torque.

SS cams will always be mistimed on the stock pulleys even if they are by some strange chance correctly aligned wth the crank as these are designed to run at lobe centres of 110/110 and the SS are specced for around 106/110.

Oily

Thanks Oily,

I have fitted the vernier cam wheels to my standard SS just out of curiosity, I am quite surprised  how far out the timing is on these cars! Do you recommend thread lock on the vernier adjustment screws? I have tightened them to 8nm, just a guess.

Thanks Oily

I fitted the verniers, just of curiosity. It made a significant difference a vast improvement to the the midrange, I wish I bought them when I purchased the car! My camshaft is on its way back from Piper they have been really helpful. It has been checked and measured  and Piper are sending all the specs then I can plonk the Janspeed head on and make a decision about them cams. Revilla is kindly sending me a set of 10mm camshaft bolts 

• Area Representative

Sounds like you have a pair of VHPD cams there - think they are OK but you need solid followers and throttle bodies to run them...

Other cams do come up from time to time - have you considered fitting VVC exhaust cams as an alternative? They are usually for sale on eBay etc...

Why not ask Oily for his advice - you never know he might have some s/h cams in stock?