Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Copthorne .... Saturday 22/10 .... yellow

SM25T

Your car must be a close cousin of ours .... same 52 plate (originally) ... same engine. We originally insured for 3000 miles pa on advice from insurers ..... did that in 3 months. Upped it to 5k ..... did that in 2 more .... upped it to 10k ..... and manage to keep inside that. Car now on 88k.

A Copthorner is traditionally known as a Yellowbelly, and there are a number of stories told as to why this might be.[4] Some talk of villagers wearing their gold strapped around their bellies, but the most likely reason is probably tied to the traditional local trade of charcoal burning, where some of those working stripped to the waist found their skin turned yellow with the smoke. Another possibility has it that the smugglers had to crawl through the mud to avoid detection and thus acquiring muddy yellow bellies.[3]

My yellow has altogether more straightforward origins - it happened to be the colour of the car available at the right spec. Happily it's SWMBO's favourite colour, and I have to admit I like it too.

The VVC has great sounds and revs. Hope its similar vintage to an 88k car is a good omen! Mine has obviously been a garage queen at "just" 25k. It has done few miles since 2010, then it suddenly jumped 5k in the last 3 months. I wonder how that happened?