Click here if you are having website access problems ×

420R - Vibration noise under scuttle - Wiper Tube

scudon

Hi

Around 4k revs the wiper tube under the scuttle makes a noise which appears to be caused by vibrations. I can stop it by sticking my hand up under the scuttle and holding the wipers centre bar so i know this is where its coming from. 

Q. Has anyone else had this and if so what can  be done to stop it? 

i presume there is a bar inside which is rattling against the outside of the tube. I have tightened the mechanism and everything around i can see but nothing has stopped it. 

Thanks

Cliff

My 2016 superlight twenty did exactly the same.

i found that there was a foam pad Velcroed to the wiper tube, but it was not helping and the whole assembly was vibrating.

i move them pad and re velcroed it again and added some more padding on other parts of the tube.

it cured my resonating and rattling, of course it's worse with a bare alloy bodied car like mine.

Nigel - thanks for the response. I have looked under the scuttle and cannot see any Velcro or foam pad. As its a new car i was told to use the wipers to see if this fixes the noise as you can appreciate the car has not seen rain so i have had no reason to use the wipers.  I suspect its the cable inside that is causing the problem.

I am also looking to see if the vibrations can be reduced as well which may help..

No problem, hope you get it sorted.

If its a new car still under warranty cant you just get caterham to sort it out for you?

There is quite a lot of items under the whole dash area which vibrate , so it worth letting the engine tick over and running your hands under to see what is potentially causing it.

On my car, when i posted the video of the first start up, someone commented on the noise on the video.

Thats how i found the noise, someone else pointing it out.

Let me see if i can find that video for you.

Nigel

thanks for the video link and i can hear the noise you mentioned. Mine is not like that and only makes the noise at around 4k revs. I have the car ready to go for its 1k miles check so i will ask them to have a look at this as you suggest.

Thank you for your help *thumb_up*