Click here if you are having website access problems ×

BMW open diff swap with an LSD

JwBye20

I have been in contact with Steve at SP Components today and he pointed me towards Titan over at St Neots, but having read a few comments that they're not very good I'm not so keen. But this appears to be the only option, and I can't for the life of me find anything relative on here where someone has swapped out the internals of the Caterham FF BMW open diff with a Titan LSD. Everyone seems to have the sierra case with Titan gubbings. Could anyone shed any light on the subject? 

I've done 27000 miles (several track days and a couple of Dunsfolds) with a Titan LSD and it has been fine so far. It was recommended by Phil at Road and Race, I have the Ford diff though, so I can't comment on the BMW diff.

It's holding up very well, but a couple of months and a couple of hundred miles isn't really much of a test! I've got a bit of weeping at the driveshaft output seals but this isn't strictly related to the LSD other than it being more likely to exacerbate the situation. From memory the Titan bits are around £750 and the road race rebuild and carriage took it to around £950. I can check that though if you need.

That's certainly a lot cheaper than a Caterham supplied one. I really noticed my open diff slowing me down on track when trying to punch out of a corner, very frustrating to spin all of the momentum away. Is it much noisier than the open diff?  just so I'm not freaked out when I have one fitted

A new Ford/Titan diff sold on eBay recently for £1150ish. That was new from Caterham but the last one I think. I hope the buyer gets lucky and it's not a screamer! I found as well as spinning momentum away it also spins expensive CR500s away, I lost 2mm on the unloaded wheel with no notable wear on the other 3! No difference in noise in normal driving that I've noticed, just grumbles a bit off the drive, t-junctions and very tight turns, as expected really. It was a great upgrade for me, car didn't make sense with an open diff.

( car didn't make sense with open diff ) I have driven cars with LSD and found them worrying at slow speed and parking ! , Yes I would get use to it eventually but I do like how civilised my BMW open diff is and pushing over 200 bhp through it you would think I would eat tyres ! but just clocked up 11,000 on the same set . And The horses are worked hard