Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Final drive ratio

James.Burton

I just picked up my first 7   *driving*

On the way home, two officers in blue helped me find out that the speedo is reading at least 20% too slow. Luckly in Austria they are humane and it was only a €20 on the spot fine.

I guess somebody must have changed the final drive at some stage. Being a 150bhp Euro spec HPC, I guess a previous owner decided acceleration was more relevant than top speed and this was cheaper than upgrading the motor...

Is there an easy fix to adjust the speedo?

Are there other things I should be concerned of with such a change of the final drive ration? Will it damage or wear parts like the gearbox...?

James

Is the speedometer electronic or mechanical? They can both be changed, but one's easier than the other...

What's your current final drive? You can measure that from an accurate speedometer (such as a GPS device, which might be a smart 'phone) and rev counter and tyre size, or by turning the prop shaft by hand and counting.

Five or six speed gearbox?

Jonathan

PS: You can also use a GPS device permanently as the speedometer...

Harder, but not insuperable.

I'd talk to one of the speedometer repairers, but of course don't do anything until you've decided where you want to end. I have the gear combinations if anyone's interested.

In the meantime I'd mark the gauge at the crucial speeds with Letraset or similar and/or stick a smart 'phone on the dash with an app that shows speed. How about Navmii?

Jonathan

James, you've presumed the final drive ratio has changed, this indeed might be correct, but it could also be the driven gear (to the speedo cable) from the gearbox could be the wrong one as there are different versions with different numbers of teeth. A search of the archives will find topics about this. You might be able to compensate for your current final drive ratio with a new speedo drive gear.

Caerbont will recalibrate your mechanical gauge although you obviously have to sent it to them in Wales for it to be done.  They need to know the ratio of rear wheel turns to speedo cable turns which is not too hard to detirmine, as follows:

Jack up the rear of the car so you can turn both rear wheels,

Undo the speedo cable from the back of the instrument and put a piece of masking tape onto the cable inner so it's like a flag.

Mark one of the rear wheel rims with a bit of tape

Rotate rear wheels, making sure they rotate equally together, counting the cable rotations at the same time, until they have both rotated a complete number of turns.

Divide one count by the other, and you have the ratio.

Repeat a couple of times to make sure.

Tell Caerbont what the counts were.

OR

Buy a bike or GPS speedo

Paul

Well a bit of field research shows 4000 rpm, pulling 136kmph, on 205/60R13 A048  => which on my maths comes up to a final drive ratio of roughly 3.1     And I have no idea if that is even possible.

BlackSeven - I had assumed any change would be for acceleration. I think you are right.   Maybe these are non standard tyre diameters...

So I could be the happy owner of a rare 3.14 ratio.

I think that would explain the 20% difference on speedo readings, as I seem to pick up indications that 3.9 is a more likely standard.

I'll see if I can get confirmation...

Might be clever to change the diff, than to try and fix the speedo...