Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cross flow engine breather solutions.

abbot

Right I know that oil everywhere is part and parcel of being a XFlow owner but there must be a more elegant solution to engine breather system.  I do not want to go to a dry sump but what other solutions are there?

My current system has a sort of washer bottle sitting above the battery, with a pipe from the crankcase just next to the fuel pump going into it and a pipe coming oiut that points down to the road.

My X-flow was a heavy 'smoker' from the engine breather, a common problem I was told. The solution was to fit a breather filter in the line higher than the outlet. The oil would 'condense' on the gauze and drip back down the tube into the engine. There was always some smoke but no oily mist. It was a Chrysler/Roots Avenger part that was recommended at the  time.

I may still have the part number somewhere, if you would like me to search let me know.

The method that I use(d), and which is recommended by folks such as Roger King, is to route a hose from the crankcase breather to the rocker cover (approximately the middle of cyls 2 and 3) and then hose from back of rocker cover to the "condensing bottle" that you already have.

Connection to middle of rocker cover is using a 90degree elbow and at the rear of the rocker cover use a straight conncector.

There are (or were) Aluminium hose connectors available direct from Ford dealers .. .. and if you search this topic in the archives you will no doubt find them. I have a spare straight connector (used) if you get really desperate. 

Connectors can easily befitted to aluminium rocker covers which can be drilled and tapped to suit. Also fittable on tin rocker covers where a locking nut is used on the inside of the rocker cover. ( .. .. though you need to be REALLY SURE that it cannot come off). 

I can take (or find old) pictures of my set-up. Just send me a blatmail and I'll attach in the reply. 

Dave