Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Possible to adjust idle mixture?

Dartmoor7

Although my old 1994 1400 Supersport is 'visible smoke only' at MOT, I wonder if I can adjust the idle mixture which is too rich and would be a fail if on a later car.

All the other MOT emission requirements are passed, the car is standard.

Is there any provision to adjust?

In days gone by I would have twiddled a little screw on the side of a carb...

As this is controlled by the ECU in a feedback loop based on the info from the lambda sensor, if the idle mixture is wrong it suggests the lambda sensor isn't working properly rather than any kind of fixed adjustment being needed.

I guess it will probably be the Metro GTi one. Should be one of the usual K Series ones - Can you post a photograph of the plug on it as there were one or two different connectors? It may well have a part number stamped on it.

I think it will be MHK10004 (Rimmer: £101.21) or you can get a pattern part MHK10004P (Rimmer: £41.94) but check the connector is a 4 way Econoseal as shown in the picture. Or on eBay you can get pattern parts even cheaper. Don't worry if the part number has an L on the end (MHK10004L), the same part was used on the Freelander and that's the Land Rover part number for the same thing.

http://www.rimmerbros.co.uk/ItemImages/Large/MHK10004P.jpg

Every standard EU2 I have seen has had a lambda sensor. Some people running programmable ECUs such as Emeralds have programmed them not to use one. So if it is EU2 then I would expect that it would have one ... although I too stand to be corrected *smile* 

Thanks guys.

Not really clear on the EU2/EU3 stuff just assumed that as one of the earliest 1400-engined 7s it would be earliest engine spec as it is standard.

Definitely has one, had to take it out and refit when doing some other job I can't remember.

I'll try to sort out a photo today.

Well you definitely do have one ...

The one I linked to above should be fine. Anything equivalent to Rover MHK10004. Used on Minis, Metros, Rover 200/400/45/600/800, Freelander. Just Google or eBay that part number and you'll find plenty at decent prices.

If you only have the problem at idle and everywhere else in the RPM range is fine, then it could be because your idle screw and TPS have become out of sync with each other.  Resulting in the throttle being closed more than it should be for the amount reported by the TPS.  Yes that difference will be present across the rev range but at wider openings the difference becomes insignificant.

Are you certain this emissions test "failure" is a new thing?  It is possible that the car could have been like that since it was new.  I'd be cautious about associating it with the lumpy idle unless you can determine that they are related somehow.

I had poor idle problems, stalling and it stank, you could smell it was running rich.

Its 95 1.4ss and I found the following, my Lambda sensor was loose, I changed the plugs from the recommended plug to a resistor type of the same make and heat range and a  broken water temp sensor wire.

You can test a lambda sensor, check out Youtube, all you need is a gas blow lamp and a volt meter.

I would also check your TPS and the idle control valve.

Neither the uneven idle (just uneven, it is not 'hunting' as we used to call it), nor the rich idle mixture result are new, I think it has always been like that. I was just prompted by the tester this time to think that maybe a rich idle is bad for the engine? Bore wash?

Why wouldn't CC set the idle better if it has always been like this, and if it is like other 7s, how do post-98 cars pass the MOT?