Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Avon ZZS or new Toyo R888R's?

CycleSi

I have an R400k with 13" wheels and have always used CR500's and really like them, but appreciate tyre technology has moved on.

I use my car for fast blatting and do around 10 track days a year. I don't want to fit ZZR's as they won't give me adequate grip in the wet.

Not worried about wear or longevity; just the best performance & grip.

Your views & opinions would be appreciated.....

If you do 10 track days a year you should definitely go for ZZRs.  They are excellent in the dry and fine in the wet once warm.  Toyo R888s are almost as good, but not quite.  R888Rs are OK-ish in the dry  on track, IMO, and very good in the wet.

I haven't tried the ZZS but I have always found CR500s poor by comparison with ZZR and 888 on track..

I've recently got ZZS on the front with CR500s on the back while I wait for them to wear out.  ZZS are noticeably grippier then the tyres they replaced and feel much more direct - big thumbs up.  (I'm sure R888Rs are also very good too)

Good point from Thompster which bears out what the guy from Avon said in the recent Low Flying article that the ZZS tyre is an all round improvement on the CR500 with better technology. For myself, I am waiting to see if Toyo are going to import the soft compound version of the R888R which has been promised but not yet arrived. Demon Tweeks suggested to me last week that this now may not happen until next season unless anyone knows different?

Dave

Alan Meaker (Technical & Motorsport Director at Toyo) has emailed me to say they are no longer going to do a soft compound.

I have no doubt the ZZR's are excellent but I drive my car a lot in the cold & wet and that's what concerns me about them which is why I'm looking at ZZS and R888R's as I think they're better all rounders.

My question is which of those two is the better tyre for my criteria?

CycleSi, I would think that the Avon ZZS would suit your circumstance over the R888R purely on the fact that they have more tread pattern which should give you better wet grip. Thanks for the update on the soft compound R888R which is interesting as it was indicated that Toyo have already produced some sizes in soft already so I will await until late this year before I decide which list 1B tyres I purchase for next season!!