Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sigma loom connections

richd13

So I had a couple of reads through the wiring connections section of the build manual this afternoon in the hope of sorting out my freshly installed engine and gearbox. However, as a complete newbie I must admit that it was all extremely confusing.

Has anyone done this recently and have the time to run through in a step-by-step fashion exactly what I need to connect to where? Preferably with photos or detailed descriptions?

I am unsure whether I will get the opportunity to look at it over the bank holiday weekend, but nevertheless I'd prefer to sort it out with help from you guys on here if possible rather than annoying Derek with a very long phone call...

From what I remember (it was nine years ago) when I built my sigma roadsport it really isn't difficult. 

The various plugs are pretty much idiot proof with it not being possible to get things round the wrong way. Work logically & run the wiring  neatly, using cable ties to keep everything tidy. The only mistake I made was a bunch of earth wires which were not secured to a good enough earth. Removal of a little paint & bolted securely down to the scuttle cured that.

Make sure the battery is disconnected until you are finished! Good luck.

From what I remember (it was nine years ago) when I built my sigma roadsport it really isn't difficult. 

The various plugs are pretty much idiot proof with it not being possible to get things round the wrong way. Work logically & run the wiring  neatly, using cable ties to keep everything tidy. The only mistake I made was a bunch of earth wires which were not secured to a good enough earth. Removal of a little paint & bolted securely down to the scuttle cured that.

Make sure the battery is disconnected until you are finished! Good luck.

I didn't know how to reply and Martin has put it well. Both times! :-)

But I hope you'll be able to get advice on specific questions, rather than detailed instructions for the whole thing, right here. Do you know to post photos?

You'll be fine.

Jonathan

PS: Where are you?

The engine harness and connector into the main loom is a push and clip to engage the catch.  It's a big piece of kit, and best positioned as far into the transmission tunnel as you can achieve in order to give easier working access around the back of the engine

The Lambda connector is easy to spot from the engine harness and is colour coded (light green) to the Lamda wire and connector that comes from the catalyst pack. 

The MAP connector (darker green 3 pin) from the harness is the only one that will fit into the female connector next to where the MAP venturi sits on the LH bulkhead.

Starter wires are only to the live side.  These are red and brown wires and all come with ring spades (Starter earths are already fitted to the Starter during the engine pre assembly).  Also the Starter live side takes the shrink wrapped heavy cable from the Alternator (brown under the shrink wrap).  You should have 4 wires in total that you connect on the live side of the Starter.  Remember to fit a protective cap from your IVA pack over the live Starter wiring securing nut on the once everything is in place.

The Oil Pressure Sensor wiring is already fitted in pre assembly.

Gearbox Reverse Light Switch is the forward most connector.  If you have a 5 speed box there are 2 options to choose from. This can be confusing as each choice has the same number and colour of blue wires to their connectors. The multi plug connector to the box which sits a little further to the rear and up on the gearshift  turret is not used.  I'd cable tie it out of harms way.

There is a blue wire connected to the Temp Sensor, and should already have the Sensor dangling from it. You will see there is another wire that exits the shrink wrap at the same point.  This wire has a wring spade connector. That wire goes onto the "submarine" just below where you insert the Temp Sensor when you get round to doing the plumbing.

At the front of your car, after you connect the Cooling Fan, you may find a run of 2 wires around 300mm long and wrapped in insulation tape.  These are surplus and should just be tied away.

Best of luck!

Thanks for the detailed descriptions Jim, it was the starter and gearbox I was most confused about so that should really help when I get back into the garage tomorrow!

Jonathan - I'll bear in mind the photo posting for the future, hopefully I won't need to for this now! I'm in East Yorkshire.