Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fixing rain light - (Glue)

glasgow

I bought this light  http://www.carbuildersolutions.com/uk/rectangular-high-intensity-led-rain-light-65mm-x-106mm.

I cut off the two bolts at the rear of the light and will attach the light directly on the metal boss that originally used to hold the spare wheel. See this pic from the internet 27039862161_cddd12bb82_b.jpg

Any suggestion for strong fast acting glue to use to attach the light to the metal boss please?

I do have a roll bar light but it is not seen well  if the half hood is on. I saw the above light in David Blue Aberdeen CSR and looked amazing. I am still keeping my roll bar one though. So in reality it is a 4th light-hope this is legal to have 4 brake lights *confused*

In hindsight i should have just kept the two bolts and drilled the boot but it is too late now

Beware that most LED rain lights are quite directional. If you mount it "flat" on the back panel it's going to pointing upwards quite a lot. Given how low it is, that might make sense, but check that it still works OK at a distance.

As for legality, the MOT tester's manual says:

Vehicles first used on or after 1 January 1971 must be fitted with two obligatory stop lamps.

Additional stop lamps fitted and connected must be tested. Where extra lamps are fitted and there is doubt as to whether they are connected, the benefit of this doubt should be given to the presenter.

Now that only means it'll pass an MOT, not that it's (necessarily) compliant with all Construction and Use regulations, but I reckon you're pretty safe.

Is there space in the case to take the head of a bolt which would go through the back and screw into the boss?

If there isn't I'd make a plastic spacer out of something, probably by cutting a box down. Bolt though that to the boss and glue it to the case using either Araldite Rapid or cyanoacrylate.

Jonathan