Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sealing Primary to Collector Exhaust Joints

revilla

I will be fitting a replacement exhaust with four long primaries into an external 4-into-1 cat collector (the standard Caterham VHPD system). I intend to fit a lambda sensor into the cat collector section and ECU runs closed loop. Would people recommend fitting the primaries into the cat dry or sealing it with something (and if so, what)?

You can use a smear of clear silicone sealant around each primary an inch or two from the end .. ..... but not enough to leave any inside the collector. There is also an orange loctite (?) silicone sealant.

If you use a large (100mm) Jubilee clip around the four primaries where they fit into the collector it will stop the two unsecured primaries vibrating and rattling in the collector thereby allowing a consistent seal from the Loctite 5920.

@

To state the obvious only lightly smear around the outside of the primaries and not inside the collector tubes. That way you can remove any excess sealant and not have it pushed into the CAT. They are a relatively tight fit. I did mine last weekend to cure a slight gas leak.

Lee