Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What's is involved in replacing an EU2 K series with a EU3?

green george

I assume that you are wanting to chuck in the DVA'd EU3 engine from the For Sale section? The Emerald will plug straight into your EU2 loom for a start, which is useful, although the engine comes with its own loom.

I'd do what I normally do; buy it and then worry about how to get it up and running later. *biggrin*

It seems a great value package for the money. I'd be tempted to keep the engine loom you currently have and see where you need to go from there. If EU2, do you run a distributor and leads? I used to, but then my new engine was EU3, so I modified the wiring loom to use wasted spark. Coolant temp sender should plug straight in, as should crank and throttle position sensors. I don't run an intake air temperature sensor or lambda sensor; the former should be the same plug and the latter is fine because you are reusing your exhaust system.

Hopefully someone else can fill in any gaps I've missed out.

Mankee,

Just out of interest, why would you start from the existing loom and chop it around? I know you did this to your own engine so I know it can be done but as I read the advert the engine comes complete with Emerald and a loom which I would assume was compatible with both the engine and the Emerald, so must already have been made up for or adapted to an EU3 engine configuration with an EU2/ Emerald compatible connector. Why not just drop the whole lot in?

Cheers,

Andrew.

I changed my engine over from EU2 to EU3 without any real problems, the engine came with the EU3 loom and MBE ecu so was pretty much drop it in and connect up. When I checked before doing this here was a chance that the rev counter would not register correctly, something to do with the wasted spark but I never encountered this problem when actually did the swop.

From memory there where a few minor things on the electrics, but I am no mechanic and managed it without any real problems. 

Good luck

Phil