Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Repacking Raceco Silencer - Advice please

shn7

I've just removed the can from the car to consider repacking it and find that the central perforated pipe was originally surrounded by a fine gauze.

Inner pipe/gauze

Most of this has seen better days.  Do I need to replace it or not is the question. I could masking tape (better than a plastic tape as it would burn off?) it to the pipe and put it back in the can and repack. But does the gauze perform a significant function either in noise reduction or stopping packing material escaping?

My previous car had a powerspeed can which had a similar perforated pipe but no gauze.

Thoughts please.

The gauze is there to stop the filler being blown out. I'd replace it, I'm sure Mike (metal Mickey) can supply a replacement. You can run without but the packing disappears  a lot sooner. Your call ....

• 7 years later...

Bringing this back up, looks like I'm in the same situation with my Raceco exhaust, just dropping this here for reference. I repacked the exhaust with acousta-fil and this is what it looks like after 10K+ miles, including sprints and track days.

I've reached out to Mike to get some replacement gauze for the center pipe.

IMG_20240210_102216.thumb.jpg.5783728c8f3fa44aad40f0bba7449f01.jpg

Hi Drumster, it was the acousta-fil blanket! I seem to have managed to shred it; I suspect I should have repacked the exhaust a while ago. 

I've got some new acousta-fil blanket ready to go (that was the plan for this morning), but having seen the gauze missing I need to sort that out first.

As an aside, it's quite clear the car has a distinct exhaust pulse about 15cm along from the front of the silencer, there is a purple patch on the outside and that's where most of the packing had been burnt/blown away. (ignore where they are in the picture).

Amazingly, even with the packing in this state I still didn't have any noise problems at Donington Park last October.

After speaking to Mike@Raceco it seems that "gauze" is actually a titanium mesh that is spot welded to the inner pipe during manufacturing, apparently it's not cost effective to replace and they just supply a new center pipe with the mesh on. 

I'm waiting to see how much that will be 😮 

• 2 weeks later...

Just had confirmation from Mike@Raceco on pricing, looks like my 980mm x 70mm new centre pipe will be on its way shortly so I can finish repacking! 

Looking forward to getting it back together and seeing if I can do a day at Bedford.