Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Banner battery not dead - just resting

Lambretta

First post in years but I thought worth mentioning.

Battery dies just over a year ago and wouldn't charge so I replace. 

I let new one die and that won't charge. I haven't even thrown away the old one yet.

I speak to Tanya and the guy there recommends I charge a good battery and connect Banner in parallel to trick charger into providing current. Then remove good battery from circuit.

Not only did new battery come back to life quickly but the old one which has been outside my house for over a year also came to life.

Try this before writing off your Banner battery!

Welcome back. Glad it worked.

I'd prefer to use a conditioning charger on a deeply discharged battery. Had you tried that already?

It might be a good idea to test the resuscitated batteries before they fail on the road. Have you measured the voltage during cranking?

Jonathan (Mine's a Vespa 125)

PS: She's called "Tayna". :-)

So she is!

My old Halfords battery charger does go over to conditioning once the battery is charged but is evidently not that good

Must be honest I didn't leave it conditioning for long and it didn't feel especially full of life when turning over so will get multimeter on it. Will carry jump leads!

How interesting. I'm having problems at the moment with a new banner battery that I've recently received. It's under 2 months old and already, according to my Ctek 5.0 charger, unable to take a charge. It keeps lighting the red warning light at stage 5 which, according to the manual, means battery won't take a charge.

was about to call Tanya and ask for a return but may well try what you suggest with both batteries and see if I can bring either of them back to life again.

unless of course the charger itself is a problem. I suppose it could be but seems unlikely.

Tom