Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Unusual front tyre wear.

four20

i had my car setup by a race mechanic after a chassis repair and notice that after a track session the front tyres are scrubbed along the outside edge.  On the Yoko 021s fitted this represents half a tyre block of the four blocks across the tread.

is this acceptable or should I be looking at more castor/toe in.

can't complain about the handling and before any asks, I neglected to check the rear tyres.

Do you know what settings the race mechanic dialled in? The outer edge wear could be a number of things:

too much toe in

car being driven too fast into a corner, leading to under steer on way in  

LSD pushing the car out of a corner leading to under steer on way out.

not enough camber

Did you notice any under/oversteer when on track?

Pressures all at 18. No LSD.

car was pretty stable front and back although it could be pushed at the front. It was the first time I'd driven it in anger since the rebuild and it was sliding both ends together quite nicely.  Previously I'd had to adjust dampers to get it balanced but last time out all were evenly stiffened.

I'm used to pushing the front both into and out of corners so I'd expect some graining on the tyres but I would have expected it to be further across the treads rather than just on about 15% at the outside edge. There must have been substantial grip right across 'cos my times were good.

no photos I'm afraid. One of the few meetings with no camera.

this was at two events, castle combe and hullavington, both are fast tracks - if that helps.

my mechanic is back from europe in a couple of weeks so all is not lost.

Thanks for your input chaps..

tony