Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rev limit

LawrenceR

Well there is one easy way to find out....

The MBE ECU has a soft cut limiter that is usually set one or two hundred RPM lower than the hard cut. It wont cause any damage to gently run into this limiter.  As long as you don't do it every single gear change.

If you really don't want to do that then you can plug into a laptop and use the Easimap software to see what the soft and hard cut limits are.  You'll need some hardware or a cable of some sort for this though.

Easimap can be downloaded from here:  http://www.sbdev.co.uk/Engine_Management_Systems/ECU/Easimap6_Download.htm

Plug it all in.  Start the easimap software.  Then turn on the ignition or even start the engine.

EasimapScreenshot.png.7d7a23acf68339caf1e10e8bc97865f7.png

You should see all these guages and numbers come to life.  I believe the Soft Cut and Hard Cut are shown on the default home screen (you can see them here in the bottom right).  If they aren't there you can add them by clicking Page > Add Panel..   You'll then find them under the "Engine Speed Setup & Limiter" section.  There are literally hundreds of other parameters in there that you can view in real-time as the engine runs.

Thanks, Martyn.  As it happens, I downloaded Easimap some while ago, but hadn't realised that the basic page carried the Cut values!

Anyway, for the OP, my values are:

• Soft Cut: 7800
  • Hard Cut: 7900

This is on a 2008 R400D, upgraded to RBs (220 bhp) by CC Crawley in Dec 2014.

Edited to add the evidence:

Cuts.jpg.7910c876054a30f4530c3392dfa8d092.jpg

JV

You can use easimap to check your TPS calibration as well.  Call up a panel called "Throttle Site 1".  It should read "0.0".  The slightest touch of the throttle should move it off "0.0"  If you can noticeably move the throttle pedal without the site increasing then you need to adjust something. 

Watch the "Throttle Angle 1" panel (already present on your home page) as you do this.  If the throttle angle voltage is increasing but the site is not then you need to adjust your TPS.

If neither the throttle angle voltage or the site are increasing then you don't necessarily have a problem with the TPS, but you do have too much slack in the throttle cable.  Readjust the cable tension then try again.

Its also interesting to see what site you get at wide open throttle, although this is mostly only useful as a sanity check to see if you're registering WOT when adjusting pedal stops.

Hi Martyn,

I tried the tests, with these results:

• TS1: 0.0 at rest and 14.4 at WOT -- increased the moment I touched the pedal
  • TA1: 4.63v at rest and 1.38v at WOT

Do these seem OK to you?  Note that the TPS voltages are the reverse of "normal" -- a Cosworth quirk, apparently.

JV

Yep, thats exactly what you want.  If you ever need to remove or replace your TPS you can use these values to position the new one exactly as it should be.

One last test I forgot to mention is to rotate the throttle linkage on the bodies around to its stop by hand and see what Site you achieve then.  If, for example you can get higher than 14.4 by doing this then your pedal stop is set too high.  Its unlikely because that should have already been set, but its always good to check you dont have an extra few mm of pedal travel hiding under there *smile*   Obviously have the engine switched off when you do this.

Sorry to the OP, its gone a bit off topic