Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K series airlock?

Julian H

Post Jenvey install, yesterday did 85miles without issue, today, 7 miles from home temp rose to 100 so i stopped in a layby and switched off and the temperature kept going into the red 120+. It still reads that after nearly an hour. 

How long will i have to wait until it cools down? Coolant in the expansion tank is not even hot, nor was it! All i want to do is get her home, 7 miles but don't want to risk any damage obviously!

Does the engine (e.g. water rail water the temperature senders are) actually feel as hot as the gauge reads? At 120°C a droplet of water dripped onto the rail would sizzle and boil off rapidly. If it isn't apparently cooling down, just wondering if it could be a sender fault?

In this weather it will cool fairly quickly. If it's cold to the touch I think you can be fairly sure that the sender isn't at 120°C+. What does the gauge read if you unplug the sender (it's the one with only one single spade connector)? It should go to zero. If not there's a short to earth in the wiring.

The gauge sender isn't Rover ... Caterham or Redline. Are you safely back home now? Did you try unplugging the spade connector from the sender? If the gauge goes back down to cold when you do then it will be the sender. If it stays high, but still goes down when you switch the ignition off then you have a short circuit between the sender wiring and earth somewhere. If it still stays high when you switch the ignition off, the gauge must be stuck.

The gauge sender isn't Rover ... Caterham or Redline. Are you safely back home now? Did you try unplugging the spade connector from the sender? If the gauge goes back down to cold when you do then it will be the sender. If it stays high, but still goes down when you switch the ignition off then you have a short circuit between the sender wiring and earth somewhere. If it still stays high when you switch the ignition off, the gauge must be stuck.

It must be the sender. With ignition switched on it falls back to zero when unplugged. It was strange the way it failed, gradually reading hotter and hotter until I got to a point where I could not believe it anymore. Home now thanks, stirling support from Bob, shelleyb helping me out in my moment of insecurity! Looks like Ill be onto Redline again in the morning.

Mine happened after a coolant change, temperature reading just got higher and higher. New sender and all good. I think a Bluetooth obd reader is worth having. My ELM327 was about £5 from ebay and has already paid for itself. You can then compare the reading to the ECU to the dial. It confirmed that the sender was the issue.

Mine climbed to 120C on the way across Germany last Autumn. All hoses felt normal so I knew it was the sender. Replaced on hotel car park and all returned to normal. I seal around the end cap of the sender with araldite to help stop water ingress and the electrical terminal from rotating.