Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Advice on K series cambelt replacement please

cj247

Ordering parts & making sure I have the necessary tools for a cambelt replacement. Do you have to remove the crankshaft pulley or can you slip the belt over it? If it has to come off then how do you stop the engine turning? Internet videos suggest some bolt on device for Rover cars that engages with the starter ring on the fly wheel. Not sure if this will work on a 7 or where you can get these?

Realise you need the device to lock the camshaft pulleys though.

I put spots of white Tippex on old belt and cam/crank pulleys before removing it. Then transfer the dots to the new belt. Simple. Yes you need to remove the crank pulley. Long breaker bar. Flat blade screwdriver jammed in flywheel ring gear teeth to hold it while you undo it. No need to remove starter. Look both sides of engine for gaps to insert it.

When I did it I got the pulley off easily using a breaker bar with the engine in gear, wheels chocked and someone pushing the brake pedal hard. To get it back on I quickly realised that this would not work very well due to slack in the transmission etc. The screwdriver method is easy as long as you have someone to hold it in place (no strength required). To undo the pulley I would use a screwdriver on the inlet side of the car and to tighten it the exhaust side.

I used a long tyre lever when I did mine.  A bit of trial and error wedging it in but not difficult.  As long as you hold the screwdriver or whatever in position in the flywheel until you put some tension on the breaker bar it stays in place on its own.

One other tip - read up on how the  auto-tensioner works (assuming you have one) as they turn the opposite way to how you might think.  youtube videos are helpful.