Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mechanical Oil Pressure Kit

Fridybrydy

I am looking to order a mechanical oil pressure kit from Think Automotive. However there is a choice of 2 kits, one kit utilizing  nylon tubing gauge line and the other a tfe braided gauge line. Could anyone advise on which is the most suitable.

I would assume the braided gauge line would be more durable but possibly more difficult to install

Kind regards

David

I've installed both systems on two different cars.

I think the main factor is cost - the braided hose is considerably more expensive.

You can save a few quid by wrapping the nylon hose with washer hose, simply split down one side and wrap around the oil line.

Actually fitting the braided hose is no more difficult if you work from the dash down into the engine bay via the grommet above the gearbox into the cabin.

Be sure to feed on the induction side of the engine bay to avoid excessive heat and don't cable tie anything in place until you've checked your routing and you're completely happy.

If you need any more help please do drop me a line. *thumbs_up_thumb* 

I did have just the nylon hose for a few years. Not sure how many years but it was 5+. Worked fine but eventually leaked where the hose went into the the gland at the filter end. I have recently changed to braided which was very simple to fit and looks a lot faster. The gauge is a Stack from Demon Tweeks and the braided ugrade was from Merlin. The hardest part of the upgrade was getting my head around the parts I needed. Merlin did advise me on what to buy but I wanted to understand it before buying.

Item: Goodridge -3JIC  Male To 1/8NPT Female Gauge Adaptor | G-GA-3
Item: Goodridge 3/8UNF Straight Female Swivel Brake Fitting | G-6001-03P
Item: Goodridge 600 Series -3 Brake Hose (Per 100mm) | G-600-03
Quantity: 30
Item: Goodridge 3/8UNF 45 Degree Swept Female Swivel Brake Fitting | G-6046-03P
Item: Adaptor -3JIC X M12X15 Concave Alloy | G-306-03-M12D

Thanks to all replies. I have decided to use a braided gauge line option and have 2 options with a £12 difference in price for the kits

Kit 1. Think Automotive -  Using a Mocal 0-100 bar gauge and braided line

Kit 2. Merlin Motorsport -  Using a Stack 0-100 bar gauge and braided line

Has anyone any knowledge of build quality, reliability and performance of either?

Thanks David

100 Bar sounds rather high :)

I have the Stack gauge. No issues, seems very good quality. One point, it uses a quite bluish LED for backlighting. You may find it doesn't match the rest of your gauges very well at night.

While I usually can't care much about aesthetic issues, I did find myself having to buy a Stack clock when I wanted a clock to sit next to the Stack oil pressure gauge, just so the lighting would match.

My Stack is a ST3101 and goes to 7 bar no problems with it. The backlight is brighter and whiter than standard gauges which is good for just one but would need sorting out if they were all like it.

I think the Stack PSI and Bar variants may have slightly different fittings on the back. Not 100% certain of this but double check if buying from multiple sources.