Click here if you are having website access problems ×

3D scanning, editing in CAD and machining in billet Ali

Ult-jim7

I am interested in digital scanning some objects from my Caterham to produce a CAD file to give to a machine shop to produce in alloy.  That can then be used as a mold to remake the parts in carbon.  I would be grateful if anyone can provide any pointers on digital scanners and CAD software for a Mac computer to accomplish this.

Many thanks, Ult-Jim7.

Would taking a cast of your original part then use this as your mould work for what you are trying to achieve. There is some tutorials on the easycomposites.co.uk website. Having parts 3d scanned in my limited experience is quite expensive but I don't know if you want to buy your own scanner or use a business to do this for you. I would say the machine shop would be able to edit your cad files for you

3D CAD is a pretty complicated business, and although what you want to do sounds simple, it's actually still quite hard. 3D scanning into CAD models is a cutting edge technology, and commercially it commands premium prices. The maker movement is working really hard to bring this into the mainstream, but there is a way to go yet.

That's why I said there may be an easier way of doing it (There usually is).

The reason the "Maker movement" is pushing so hard is that generally they don't have the tools at their disposal to do it the conventional way, so laser / SLS scanning straight to a format that you can then 3D print from is Ideal...... you dont need to be able to Model correctly, you can just scan it - print it - paint it etc....

It all looks great, until you try and put it all together, then, generally they come knocking at an engineers door to do it properly if its a precision component.

I use Laser scanning / CMM to give me something to work to, but its just a dumb solid, I then create a parametric 3d model if you need to be able to change anything.

3D Cad, reverse engineering, designing new stuff etc is what I do as a day job, have done for years for Most of the automotive OEMs and consultancies (Including Caterham / Cosworth on the CSR200/250 program) ;) so if thats what the OP wants then I`m  happy to discuss it.

Cheers

Dom

One thing that caught me out is that there is a step between a CAD model and cutting metal. This step is usually handled be a machinist who runs the CAD model files into the CNC mill and, with the help of CAM software, determines the cutter path(s). There are so many ways that this can go wrong, which is where the skill of the machinist comes in. Just figuring out how the billet will be clamped all the way through the cutting can trip you up.