Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Circulating oil on the dry sump oil pump - Duratec

griffchris

Hi, I'm planning the 1st start on my 420R build (dry sump Duratec) in the next few days, and have been researching my "strategy".  

I have seen/heard mention of the possibility of spinning up the dry sump oil pump by hand/by electric drill to circulate oil around the engine to make those first few seconds a bt easier on the components.  (I will be turning over the engine on the starter to generate oil pressure having removed the spark plugs and immobiliser feed as well, but thought spinning the oil pump in advance of this might be a good idea).  I appreciate this might seem like overkill to some!

My question is, how do I actually turn the oil pump?  I believe this is the Raceline dry sump with internal pump.  If it's going to be particularly "tricky" I'll just give it a miss.  (Although I've managed the build fine I am a bit of a mechanical numpty).

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Chris

Yes could do and I may end up just doing this, I suppose the issue might be that there could be an appreciable amount of friction on the cam lobes and other engine parts whilst the engine is turning and oil pressure is building, before oil flow has reached all areas.  It might be nice if you could get the oil pumping and oil flow around the engine before turning the engine over - hence my question.  Searching through the archives, it is mentioned a few times, often in relation to the K-series, but exactly how it is done isn't described.