Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Transmission whine on overrun

NRG

Hi, I wonder if anyone can reassure me?  I have a 1.8 Zetec, 5 speed sierra 'box and an Ital axle.  Had the car for 25 years!  It has always had a whine on overrun (decelerating using engine braking). I have covered about 20000 miles.  I recently bought a hood to extend the driving season and when driving with the hood up a lot of the transmission and road noise is more intrusive.

The car is not used on track days, just simple road use.

Is the transmission whine normal?  There are no oil leaks anywhere.  The gearbox, engine and diff casing are all as clean as a whistle. The only time I have seen oil is a couple of years ago when I tried to top up the diff using the breather filling technique...and spilled some over the top.

I am about to hibernate the car for the winter in south west France, so she is going on a 700 mile road trip starting on Sunday....

N

• Leadership Team

Shouldn't worry - the hood (especially the full hood which encloses the boot area within the car) amlifies any noise. With the boot cover off to fit the hood the diff noise is added to the rest of the din.

Ear plugs / defenders or a half hood is the way forward *biggrin*

Hi Nige

Fancy meeting you here *rotate*

As you know I had an Ital axle car years ago and it always suffered from whine. I had managed to get hold of a brand new axle casing and diff when I built the car and it was always noisy. It did get worse after I started sprinting and hill climbing in it so I had it rebuilt as a precaution, but they found nothing wrong and it didnt fail in about 6 years of hard use.

My cross flow didnt push out the power your zetec does but it did have to deal with a lot of tracktime and full bore starts.

I think you will be fine

See you friday

M

Hi Mark,

Nice to see you here..

Now the rain has blown through, I think I will put the car up on the stands at the back and fill the oil up to the marks before I go.

If it stays dry, we will come out in the 7 on Friday...see you then!

N

Hi Mark,

Nice to see you here..

Now the rain has blown through, I think I will put the car up on the stands at the back and fill the oil up to the marks before I go.

If it stays dry, we will come out in the 7 on Friday...see you then!

N

Hi John,

We are off to the Tarn region...close to Albi.  The 7 will overwinter there and come back in May / June.  That way we avoid the salt and dirt the UK authorities like to throw on the roads...  There's also a guy with a blue S4 in a nearby village...on French plates.  Apparently an expat...so I'll probably stooge about and see if I can coax him out for a blat when I get there....

N