Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Shortening harness lap belts

tomperkins

Probably not a common question but I'd like to shorten my lap belts. 

I'm fairly tall and therefore have my seat quite a long way back. The problem is that even with the lap belts tightened as much as possible my lap belt is not as tight as I'd like.

This means that if I want to do my shoulder straps up really tight the lap belt starts to ride up over my ribs, not ideal.

Does anyone have any tips or tricks on how to shorten the belts further or take some length out of the belts?

Thanks in advance,

Tom

• Leadership Team

I have thought a bit more about this. I think that my car has two available bolt holes on the tunnel. At the moment the lap strap is fixed to the foremost one. Does anyone have their lap strap attached the the rear hole and is this 'possible/safe/OK'

It's perfectly possible to mount with the rearmost mounting point - it just means that the adjuster may foul the hole through which it passes in the seat and also the seat can foul the bolt and mounting when refitting the seat. I have done this with tilletts and it's a question of being patient and methodical - this tip came from Simon at CC Midlands 

I just moved both sides to the rearmost fitting on s3

tillet seats - easy on the passenger side and harder on the drivers side as the buckle sticks out and stops the seat moving completely but got round that by reducing spacer 

lit reduces lap belt by enough for us but be aware that i you cannot move tilletts to far forward as the adjuster buckle  gets trapped in the seat aperture

• 2 weeks later...
  • Leadership Team

I have have moved mine back too, and it wasn't quite as tricky as I thought. I have leather seats; I just shifted the seat forwards and reached down inside to change the hole.

The lap belt is not as easy to adjust as before, but I can get them tight.