Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Correct length of hose between oil pressure sender and gauge (Think Auto mechanical kit)

green george

Advice please.

Just had the Think Auto mechanical oil pressure gauge fitted and the length of hose between the sender mounted on the offside engine mount to the gauge as supplied is far too long.

I have measured it and the length would appear to be 5'06" but that doesn't allow much excess.  I remember reading somewhere it is sensible to allow for the gauge to be pulled out of the dashboard and the hose joined to the gauge; and of course cannot now find this topic.

Can anyone who has a sender mounted in a similar fashion, confirm if a 5'06" length of (Aeroquip) hose is too short / too long / just right?

I used a 6' tube. Mine is an SV but I don't think that will make much difference at all. I routed it along the wiring loom across the front of the engine and followed the loom all the way back up to the grommet in front of the gear lever and then round to the gauge. 6' gave just a little spare for a comfortable fit which I think agrees with your measurements. Other people recommend getting 7' tube but I have no idea where they hide the extra foot!

I have my remote oil T-piece mounted on a bracket fixed to the stud for, I think, the brake line T-piece, so it's not a million miles away from yours fixed to the offside engine mount. I've used a 6ft length of pipeline and, whilst there is some excess, it is about right. I do have a spare 6ft pipeline with a cone fitting one end and flat the other if you want it. It'll fit the Think Auto/Mocal gauges but it just depends on your setup at the other end.

Ah OK so you already have a pipe from the filter housing round to a T piece on the offside engine mount. I was confused because mine has no such mounting hole, however looking at the pictures on the Caterham parts website it seems they deleted this mounting hole from the special (lowered) VVC version of the offside mount for some reason.

Hi Nick

I haven't got the receipt to hand but think it was just over £100 all in with the L7C discount without postage as I picked it up.  I popped in yesterday and bought a shorter run of Aeroquip hose to go between the sender and gauge for £22.95 with the correct fittings which I thought was excellent value.

George