Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Now Sold. Superlight 'R' plus Brian James Minno trailer.

GrahamV

Saletop.jpg.f60d70e1c23262ae36f51e572ab5b88e.jpg

Sold - thanks for all the enquiries and offers.

For sale to a good home:  Caterham 7 Superlight ‘R’ (plaque number 82) and Brian James Minno trailer

As my retirement draws nearer its sadly time to sell my 2000 Superlight ‘R’ and my Brian James Minno trailer.  I would like to see it go to a fellow club member as a complete 'package' so I will advertise it here first before it goes on PistonHeads as separate items.

This is my second Caterham and I know its a cliché, but I really will be very sad to see it go.   Overall I think the Superlight ‘R’ model provides a good blend for competition, trackday and fun on the road.  It is very easy to drive with no bad habits – although it is modified the engine pulls strongly from below 2,000 to over 8,000 revs.  

The car has covered a total of 23,600 miles and has been in my ownership for the last 8 years – I am the third owner.   The engine and gearbox were professionally refreshed and upgraded over the winter of 2013 / 2014 when the mileage was 22,000 – so less than 2,000 miles on the engine / gearbox refresh.

The engine is the original hardcore VHPD (Very High Performance Derivative) with harder crank, dry sump, better pistons etc.   It was refreshed, modified and rebuilt by the magic spanners of Dave Andrews (DVA Power) in January 2014. 

In summary the engine refresh completed by DVA Power –

• Full port on the VHPD head (after checking for the correct hardness)
  • Westwood liners
  • New Piper 1444 cams
  • New valves
  • New Piper double valve springs and caps
  • Fully Balanced
  • New competition shells and bearings
  • Modified throttle bodies (for reliability)
  • New water pump
  • New turbo oil pump (gasflowed!!)
  • All new flywheel bolts, head bolts, tensioners, etc.
  • Programmable Emerald ECU
  • Well over 200 BHP.  Could be more if you want to take the CAT off.
  • Circa 160 LB-ft torque
  • Full details of all the work carried out available on request (complete spreadsheet from DVA Power of parts and work) 

Gearbox refresh -

The gearbox is a Caterham six speed close ratio box:  refreshed and modified by Steve Perks (SP Components, Redditch) in December 2013 and has covered less than 2000 miles since the refresh –

• All new bearings and synchros fitted
  • Special lightened layshaft for smoother, faster gearchanges
  • Slightly stronger springs to centralise the gearlever on the 3rd / 4th shift plane

Details of the car –

• Year 2000 Superlight 'R' - plaque number 82
  • Taxed / MOTed until Feb 2016 (but i think under new rules the tax is not transferable?)
  • Colour - Lotus Azure Blue (code B20) with a silver nose band
  • Full SLR cage from ‘Caged’ (fitted in 2012 with full race homologation sticker)
  • Original colour coded FIA bar / petty strut included (no sticker)
  • Nitron shocks and springs – valved and refreshed by Simon Rogers at Meteor Motorsport in June 2015
  • 2 sets of wheels / tyres (size:7 x 13 fronts and 8 x 13 rears – i think)
  • 1 x set Superlight ‘R’ wheels with supersoft compound Avon ZZRs (3 hillclimbs only – nearly new)
  • 1 x set of R500 8 spoke anthracite wheels with Kumho V70s (supersoft rears and soft fronts – stored in the dark – nearly new)
  • DRE Shift lights
  • Limited slip diff (standard on SLRs)
  • Mechanical oil pressure gauge (Racetec)
  • New radiator in 2012 with silicon hoses (blue)
  • Mocal oil catch tank (blue)
  • Brise starter motor – fitted in 2012
  • Still on a Banner battery – replaced in 2012
  • Composite Tillett seats
  • Two steering wheels – original leather Momo and slightly larger suede Racetec
  • Quick release steering wheel boss
  • Mintex 1144 brake pads all round
  • Brake bias control
  • New ITG air filter (June 2015)
  • As a precaution the De Dion bar was upgraded in 2012 with the newer, stronger version (James Whiting recommendation)
  • Repackable silencer with high volume CAT inside – specially made by GoodFabs (who make F1 exhaust systems).Repacked with Acoustafil this year - 98 to 102 decibels recorded. Original (repackable) silencer and Cat box included.
  • Half doors and tonneau cover
  • Oxted SLR waterproof rain cover – fits over the cage a treat
  • Small ‘carbon look-a-like’ headlights
  • Colour coded carbon wings front and rear
  • Titanium '7' grill
  • Milwood carbon protectors on the rear wheel archs
  • Schroth seat belts (2011 - blue) – special order with 3 inch lap belts
  • HANS / FHR plate fitted to bring the seat belt mounting points closer together
  • Flat floored and running two degrees negative camber on the front wheels
  • Private plate not included - will discuss what the new owner wants to do.  Maybe a 'C7' plate?

Trailer – Brian James Minno:

• Lockable hitch
  • Always garaged
  • Serviced annually at Wessex trailers, Dorchester
  • Last serviced July 2015 (two new brake cables fitted)
  • Only 300 miles since last service
  • Slight mark on one ramp about 2 inches across where i spilt some acid and it marked the zinc plating on the ramp
  • Wheel locking device included (2 keys)
  • Set of 'tie downs' included (nifty shade of yellow)

Pedigree / History / Usage

I have used the car mainly for sprinting / hillclimbing – with the odd trip out on sunny days.  The car has been great fun for 8 years, very successful and 100% reliable –

2014 Hillclimb results:

• 11 x First in class, 3 x Second in class.
  • 4th overall in the 2014 Wiscombe Hillclimb Championship
  • 7th overall in the 2014 Association of South West Motor Clubs (ASWMC) Championship.
  • Class record holder at Manor Farm Hillclimb.

2014 Sprint Results:

• Bristol Motor Club / Llandow Sprint – First in class
  • Woolbridge / Clay Pigeon Sprint – First in class
  • Torbay MC / Clay Pigeon Sprint – Second in class

The car in action (not my videos) ... make sure you wack it into HD and turn up the volume...  *driving*

Wiscombe Park Hillclimb -

Castle Hillclimb -

The business end....

Price – I think £19,500 is a bargain price for the complete package of a really fantastic Superlight ‘R’, a very good trailer and other bits ‘n bobs.    The car + trailer combo makes this suitable for competitions and trackdays ....  or just damn good fun on the roads.  The car can be seen at Wiscombe Park Hillclimb on Sept 5th and 6th.

I’m in Sherborne, north Dorset.   Please telephone or e-mail for further details of the package or more photos –

tel - 01963 210851 (please note I'm away Bank Holiday weekend)

E-mail  - graham.vingoe at t-systems.com

rearend.jpg.7ac3de12b868343b3a037f49df34f636.jpg

Hi Simon - sorry but the car wouldn't be the same without your Nitrons :-)    I have to say that I wish I'd bought them years ago....

I'm looking for a quick 'end of season' sale so it is a real bargain for somebody.  Not only is my retirement coming up but we also have a house move this month ... busy times and we can't have four cars and a trailer.

GrahamV  *wavey*