Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1600Vx 8v - no voltage to coil

pellert

Evening all,

A real numpty question for you. After 7 months I tried to fire up the car on Saturday. As you can probably guess it wouldn't start - no spark.

There is no voltage to the coil whilst cranking.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Cheers Paul

Checked it with a multimeter. I should also say that last November I replaced the Crankshaft Sensor, new plugs, leads and new coil. Everything was fine at that time.

I have a MBE 956i ECU, and a standard coil with amplifier, running on webers.

Paul

Hi Andy, no master cut off. I am slowly going through the wiring and checking continuity. I am going to have to go back to Caterham and see if they have a pin out diagram for the ECU. The circuit diagram I have bears no resemblance to the ECU fitted.

cheers. Paul

Yes you can, I will get it scanned at work and email it to you. Please let me know your email address.

Cheers  Paul

By the way, the battery voltage is 12.81v, with ignition on, fuel pump running it drops to 12.61 and when cranking it drops to 11v.  I wasn't able to get jumps leads and a car to it, but I did put a 'jump start' battery on it. With exactly the same results.

This might be easier to read.

CONNECTOR PIN OUT FOR 956-C ECU 

PIN NO.      SIGNAL DESCRIPTION

1                      ELECTRONICS GROUND

2                      ECU SUPPLY +12V

3                      IGNITION DRIVE 1

4                      LAMBDA INPUT

5                      THROTTLE REFERENCE (5V OUT)

6                      SPEED SIGNAL

7                      AIR TEMPERATURE SIGNAL

8                      COOLANT TEMPERATURE SIGNAL

9                      POWER GROUND 1 (BRAID)

10                    IGNITION DRIVE 2

11                    INJECTOR DRIVE

12                    SPEED RETURN

13                    TACHO SIGNAL

14                    FUEL PUMP RELAY OR SHIFT LIGHT

15                    THROTTLE SIGNAL

Paul,

My ECU is wired up as follows:

1    Pink       Coil Pin 2

2    White     I am assuming this is 12Volt supply*

3    Purple    Coil Pin 4

6    Yellow    Crankshaft Sensor    Pin 2

9    Black      Earth

12  Slate    Crankshaft Sensor Pins 1 & 3

13  White / Black    Tacho Sensor

*Is the ECU 12 volt supply coming from the Ignition Switch?  Is this something the Immobiliser will immobilise?  if so this could be my problem - duff immobiliser.

Tomorrow I wil try and connect 12 volts to the ECU direct from the Ignition Switch and see what happens.l

ECU Pin 1 is ground so I wouldn't expect it to be connected to the coil.  The ECU coil drive signals should go to the coil from ECU pins 3 & 10, not 3 & 1. 

Don't know which immobiliser you have but they normally kill the starter and fuel pump as well as the ignition.  Again, not knowing your loom, the coil and ECU will probably be powered via a relay or at least the coil will, the relay being activated by the ignition switch +12V.  After market looms often have the relay built into the loom itself. 

Is power going to the ECU when you turn on the ignition or, because the coil and ECU +12V lines are connected together somewhere, does the ECU just get powered up when you connect your test connection to the coil?

Paul

My immobiliser is a Shurlok EP100.   The ECU is MBE 956i.

The fuel pump is working and there is power to the starter.

Even when I hot wire the coil to start the engine, there does not appear to be a supply to the ECU (I will recheck this is the morning.

I cannot find any relays in the loom, unless they are covered in black tape.

Paul

If the engine runs with power hot wired to the coil then the ECU must be getting power and running correctly, otherwise the engine wouldn't start.  Maybe your loom doesn't have a power relay and power to the coil and ECU are directly from the ignition switch.  Pull the connector off the ECU and check either for +12V to pin2 and/or check for continuity between the coil and pin2.  If it's o/c then I would check that all the wires are on the back of the ignition switch and then hunt for a relay somewhere.

JK

unless the engine is being cranked the only active output is the +5V reference to the TPS.  This won't tell you if the ECU has a fault, only that it has a supply to it.  Ignition and injector drives and, indeed, fuel pump and shift lights are almost always switched to ground so hard to detect a signal without an oscilloscope although you might see something with an analogue voltmeter if you knew what to look for.

Paul

Paul and Jonathan,

Thank you for your inputs, I now believe I have done enough to get me going.

There was continuity between the ECU Pin 2 and the ignition switch, and when applied there was 12 volts.

There was no continuity between the ECU Pin 2 and Coil, nor between the Coil and ignition switch.

I could not find a relay and I didn't want to remove the black tape from the loom to find a broken wire (I will save this for the winter).

I have added a wire now to the Coil, connected to a spare contact on the ignition switch and hey ho everything works as it did before.

Thanks again  Paul

Sounds like a very good workaround.  Nothing worse than having the car in bits whilst the weather is good, they are for driving after all.  It might be worth putting a 10A fuse in the new line to the coil unless there's one further upstream, just to give a bit of protection to the wiring.

The aftermarket looms have a relay included but you can't miss them as they're standard 1" cube auto types, so you almost certainly don't have one.  I'll be interested to know what you find if you do eventually get to the bottom of it.

Enjoy the car

Paul