Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Gearbox Oil - GL5 Now Recommended?

martyn

Was just about to buy some oil to refill my 6 speed and thought I'd double check the owner’s manual.  It seems the latest version now states EP75w90 GL5 for all 'boxes.  This goes against my understanding that GL5 shouldn't be used in gearboxes because it strips the synchros.

Is this a typo and should I stick with 75w90 GL4?

Also.. same questions as my other thread on the sump plug..  What size copper washer do I need for the gearbox drain plug?  And, is there a recommended torque?

Thanks.

I've always heard GL5 shouldn't be used in gearboxes too.

The gearbox hasn't changed, but maybe that oil has.

I would still be inclined to use GL4/ep80 equivalent. I just filled my 5 speed with Castrol EP80 mineral oil and it's working very nicely *smile*

Sorry can't help on the washer size, but at least you get a drain plug...........my box was out of the car after clutch trouble *rolleyes* so I just turned it upside down.

Redline MTL - proven to work in both 5 and 6 speeders, make sure you don't overfill though

Thanks. Yes I was intending to go for Redline based one some positive feedback in here.  But rather the MT-90 which is the same product but in the thicker weight that Caterham now recommend in the owner's manual.   I was intrigued about the recommendation for GL5 though..

How is it possible to overfill when the fill plug is the max level?

I had the same concern with the GL5 being recommended in a 6 speed box so I contacted CC South.

Tony the parts manager (been with Caterham 25 years) said thank you for pointing that out. Yes it should be GL4 EP75w/90 and not the GL5 stated.

The BMW LSD oil is correctly stated as LS80w/90 GL5.

He also emailed Technical at Dartford to confirm that this is correct. It will be amended in future owners hand books