Click here if you are having website access problems ×

oil quantity for 2.3 duratec

wild bill

Not sure you are correct. I think Raceline say add 5l to a dry engine, then mark your dipstick with this level. This would not include the volumes in the filter etc. so in use the sump would probably have  nearer 4l in it. Would it be better to also mark the in use full volume on the stick to allow oil use to be checked?

edit to add, 

or do they intend that you then run the engine and top back to the 5l mark? which would explain the~6l quantity.

Hmmm and also when draining the engine it's likely that some will remain in the cooler even with a flush so no wiser.

It always used to be simple, fill oil when cold to dip mark max, now with modern engines comes check when hot, or check with engine hot but turned off fo 5 minutes or check when running at idle, next it'll be 'we don't know sir we advise you check it whilst you have a finger up your £$£%$$ FFS AAAARRRGGHHHHH LOL

Hi Bill you could always ring me if you need info.    6L is far too much for your installation and will cause the engine to overheat  if filled with 6L.  The Raceline sump takes 4.5L then add a bit for the oil filter and oil cooler.  BIM Its never possible to get all the oil out without a strip down so I would start with adding 4.5L and check your dip stick you may need to add a little more up to 0.5L

Cheerio

Rob

Hi Rob

Many thanks. Hope all is good with you. I didn't add the extra litre so we did in fact dip at 4.5 and add an extra 0.5 and this seems to be correct. No overheat and all pressures etc look spot on. Whenever i change oil myself i always add back in what i've extracted and whilst this usually happens at service the guy forgot.....it happens.

Cheers

Ivan