Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Knocking sound...

green george

This morning I was checking the fluids before attending Bedford tomorrow.  Whilst I waiting for the oil to get up to temperature I was pottering and my attention was drawn to a new and interesting random knocking sound from the front of the car. It sounds as if it could ne in front of the engine but the nose cone was on so the sound may be refelcted.

The knocking is not affected by revs and I know the cambelt was changed in the last 1200 miles by Caterham Cars.  It sounds to me like something knocking against the chassis, but there is nothing obvious.

The car was stationary.

Just in case I am missing something critical I thought I would post this...    

Might be the gearbox knocking against the inside of the transmission tunnel.  Check the tail mount and the clearance each side.

Or it might be a loose or disintegrating engine mount.

Do you have an apollo tank? If so, maybe the mounts/ties are loose.

JV

Thanks for your advice guys.  I went back and took the nose cone off and had a closer look.  I think the source of the knocking is the thermostat for my oil cooler knocking against the horns.  The thermostat is not mounted and I think when the can was stripped down recently the geometry of the hoses has varied slightly.  Anyway I feel happier now.  Thanks for you advice guys.