Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What MIG Welder?

abbot

I am doing a Mini project and have disvoered that I will need to do some simple welding. Engine stay bracket has detached.

I searched the Forum history and found some comments but dataing back a long time so I would like to get the latest view on what is a good buy and what is to avoid when it come to a home MIG welder.

The budget needs to be less than some French Bandit would charge to come to my place and do the job so it could be quite high, but I would like to keep it below 250 Euros (200 quid)

Have you ever done any welding?  You can't just pick up a welder and start doing near-perfect welds from scratch.  I did an evening course once upon a time but still can't produce anywhere near decent welds.  Also don't forget you'll need a reactive mask (which, admittedly, were way too expensive when I was learning), weldiing gloves, and the necessary clamps / magnetic holders to hold the stuff together for welding.

http://www.theminiforum.co.uk/forums/topic/302332-what-type-of-welder-should-i-get/

Worth looking for a good second hand set if you're not going to use it much, I picked up a 130 amp Cebora mig with a new spool of wire and full size gas bottle for less than £100 some years ago. It needed all the serviceable parts of the torch replacing but they were only a few quid from a local welding suppliers. 

If that's the only welding your Mini needs though you're a) a very lucky man and b) probably not worth buying a welding set for. 

I last did welding and soldering during my apprenticeship some 35 years ago. I still have the samples I made and I am under no illusion that I would be able to pick it up quickly. The most difficult thing to master was the flick of the head to drop the mask just as you make contact so I guess an automatic lens would solve that.

A) reasonably lucky but could turn to sh1t if I dig too deep

B) the value is related to the cost of a Frenchman coming to my house if I can find one.  I would take a good bet that buying a welder, getting all the kit and spending hours practicing would still be by far the cheaper option