Click here if you are having website access problems ×

DTA S40 and MOT Emissions

Jon Stewart

The 7 failed its MOT at the weekend and one of the points it failed on was the C02 emissions.

It's a '91 car with an a freshly re-built Exon built XE running throttle bodies with a DTA S40.

Looking at the DTA manual i understand i can trim the fuel using the live mapping option.

Is it as straightforward as that?

Also, looking at the MOT manual under section 7.3 Exhaust emissions it states "for emission purposes only, kit cars and amateur built vehicles first used before 1 August 1998.....are to be considered first used before 1 August 1975" which would suggest it's a visual only check

Has anyone any experience of this?

Thanks.

Edited because i can't read...

Jon,

Yes I have experience of this.

My 7 is a 1993 Supersprint and whilst it was in it's original condition with a 1700 x/flow it was only ever subjected to a smoke test as you say under 7.3 of the manual. 

When I replaced the engine in 2010 with a brand new Zetec it was still tested on smoke only as the manual states:

Vehicles fitted with a different engine must be tested to the requirements of whichever is older, the engine or the vehicle.

e.g. A 1995 car fitted with a 1991 engine (of whatever make), test to 1991 standards for emission purposes. Note: The onus is on the vehicle presenter to prove engine age.

Therefore my '93 car with 2010 engine is tested under '93 kit car rules.

In the 16 years I've owned mine I've never really had an issue at MOT time, but it has helped on a couple of occassions to go armed with the flowchart in 7.3