Click here if you are having website access problems ×

MOT - bag seat?

phatcat

I'm sure this has been asked before (or maybe it's just too daft), but anyway:

I've been doing some pre-MOT checks on the car, and reading through the goverment MOT manual at http://www.motinfo.gov.uk/htdocs, I came across this:

1. Check the driver’s and all passengers’ seats for security.
2. Check that the backrests of all seats (front and rear) can be secured in their normal upright position.
3. Check that the driver’s seat position can be adjusted forwards and backwards and secured in the selected positions.

I have a bag seat in my 7 (actually that's overstating it, as the base is just 5mm foam stuck to the floor so my bum goes numb within 30 mins or so!) At any rate, I can't get in the car with a standard seat, let alone drive it. So my seat cannot be secured in any position unless leaning against the metal counts - its just a bunch of foam and duct tape.

Is this a problem? Do I need to fit a tillet seat and trailer it to the MOT station?

Is there anything else (a relatively new) 7 often fails on? (this is the car's first MOT, and I sold my last 7 before it was due, so a bit clueless). It's an Academy car with full cage if it makes a difference. I've disconnected the rain light.

Thanks.

I recently took my caged and tilleted car for an MOT.  The tester had a quick go at getting in and gave up, leaving me to drive it on to the ramps and the brake tester.  My seat should slide but is more or less seized - tester didn't try it, or the seatbelts for that matter.  Overall impression I got was that he was more interested in testing something that wasn't a focus than he was in failing me.

• Support Team

It shouldn't be a problem as there are plenty of caterhams with fixed seats. The key wording in the manual is the reason for failure: "the driver’s seat fore and aft adjustment mechanism not functioning as intended." As its not intended to move then it should pass.

This clause should also help: "Original Design characteristics and modifications (e.g. to enable wheelchair access) are to be accepted." You've modified it for racing :-)

I seem to recall that there are a number of recent MOT rule changes which have some exception for modified vehicles.

My MOT man has never tried to adjust my seat. Just as well, reading this, as the runners were seized for the first two of the three it's been through in our care. It's only in the last year, with copious lubrication and "persuasion", that I got the runners to run again.

He is (was) a 7 owner though, I suspect he concentrates on the things that actually affect roadworthiness.