Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ally fuel filler cap and neck-help

dom69

Hi, having just bought a new caterham filler cap and neck assembly to replace the rover one I thought 'this looks a piece of cake to fit'.

First question is does the silver ally face plate come off the neck? I have tried but don't want to break it and question 2 is does the cork gasket go inside the boot, sealing the neck to the bodywork?

Thanks in advance

Dom

Unlike carbon handbrake grip, this item od "decor" is a chunk heavier than the Rover 100 (née Metro) plastic item which it replaces. Also as significantly on the extremity if the vehicle negatively impacts on polar moment of inertia. You may need to watch out for change to handling balance.

To answer your questions sensibly - yes the face comes off the filler neck, unlock it and lift the tab, you'll need to give it a bit of a tug (yik yik) as the fit is quite tight.

The filler neck fits directly to the bodywork inside the boot, there used to be supplied an aluminuim spacer ring but this has been discontinued.

You might have to trim your fuel filler pipe down slightly, getting it in place can be a bit of a faff but stick with it! I little washing up liquid will help get the rubber onto the pipes, just a little though.

The cork gasket, as mentioned before, goes on the outside of the car.

I did this mod a little while back so if you need any more help drop me a line.