Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VVC timing belt kit

Mechanical Moz

I need to replace the timing belts on my VVC, so is it worth the extra for a genuine MG Rover kit? I'm not sure what the shelf life of the belts is, I'm concerned that a genuine kit must be a good few years old by now. If not is there a recommended aftermarket kit? Do I need to make sure it comes with the tensioning spring and bolt? 

Same questions for the water pump really, car has done 56k and there's nothing in the history to suggest it's not the original so I assume it's worth replacing at the same time. 

I got a Gates belt and tensioner kit from local car spares shop. Labelled Gates Powergrip kit. Dave Andrews (Oilyhands) recommends Gates every time. Belts are 26mm wide. Tensioner is manual on VVC. The tensioning spring is only used for set up ... then discarded. Do replace the water pump. Cheap and easy while belts off. Silly not to. Get one with a metal impeller ... not plastic.

Not sure what year or engine size you have (after reading an old post regarding different belts) .... so do check the width of your current main belt. Mine is 2002 1.8VVC and has 26mm wide x 143 toothbelt. I understand all VVC have the manual tensioner. Don't let shop fob you off with auto tensioner and 145 tooth belt !

All VVC belts are 26mm wide, main belt is Gates 5416xs, rear belt Gates 5417xs, get an INA or Gates manual tensioner and as stated a metal impeller pump. If you have difficulty with supply I keep them in stock, but you should be abLe to get them locally.

Oily

• 3 weeks later...