Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre Suggestions?

cskip

I know this topic has been done to death, but here goes..

I need a set of 4 road tyres for by 2.0 XE seven.  Currently I am running Yoko 48s for the road, which are old and wooden.  On my previous 7s I have run Yoko A021Rs and been very happy (not least due to the cost - £50 a corner).  Now that the A021Rs are no longer available I am looking for a good alternative.  The tyres must be grippy and reasonable if I get caught out in the wet.  I am not keen on the R888s - I do an annual trip round Europe and I have seen a new set only just last the trip! 

To add to the mix I run soft compound Avon ZZRs on the track, so I want to keep the same profile to minimise suspension set-up changes/compromises.  The ZZRs are 185/55R13 & 215/55R13.

So the questions:

1. What tyre alternative do I have? 

2. What is the considered opinion on the ZZS?

Hi

I am not going to be much help because I have only done around 200 miles on a set of 13" ZZS but I can say I already prefer them to CR500 [dated 2012, so not an old knackered set]. I have not played around with pressures yet, just set them at 18psi as per previous, also not run them in the wet. What I can say is that they hold on a lot more in the corners in the dry straight from the off. Plenty of feel, nice and compliant, look really cool too *rolleyes* , certainly feels more pointy at the front end. ZZR must feel better still than the CR500?

No experince with any other tyres, have you looked at the Toyos?

ZZS and ZZR would mean perfect setup for both types though.

Cheers, Julian

• 11 months later...

I too have just fitted ZZS on the front but controversially still have CR500s on the back.  I've only done 50 damp road miles on them but first impressions are very good.  The front feels more planted and held on when the back started to slide. Very impressed so far.

The only downside is the price - delivered cost was £230 the pair so much more than something like R888s.

I had Toyo T1R's on my previous 7 (1.8 VVC Roadsport with 15" rims) and really liked them. Several other seveners like them too. 

I drove in all weathers and did track days with them and would have bought them again. Highly recommended by me. 

Simon

I had Toyo T1Rs after the CR500s. T1Rs were great in the wet, especially standing water, but not quite as grippy as CR500s in the dry.

Did a european tour last year with T1Rs on the front and R1Rs on the rear, and it was a perfect balance, even in some very cold and wet conditions

*cry*

Car is a 1.6SS with 6" all round.

• Area Representative
This is a major conundrum. Like so many here, I have run on 21Rs for years and I am really sorry to see them lost to legal use on the road. I am fortunate in having a good set of E marked 21Rs ready for use in the summer (I am using winter tyres at the moment).

I use Toyo T1Rs on my 21. They are ok but I haven't pushed their limits very much. I am looking to improve the handling of the 21 but suspect the problems lie elsewhere.