Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Starcom Kit Car systems Thread closed.

Peter G

I've been talking to Starcom/Autocom and they have offered us an additional 7.5%, on top of the usual club 10% discount, provided 10 sets are ordered at once.

I'm happy to collate the order, but as the options are numerous on the kits, I won't be acting as the go between, so if you are interested, phone up Starcom, and decide what you want, standard or digital hub, bluetooth or not, peltor style or helmets sets, fitting kit etc and let me know what you decide. with the full price of your selection. Please put a note here to let me know and email me at petergno101 at gmail dot com

I'm putting a short cut off on this as I need to get my set ordered inside 2 weeks and may forego the additioanl discount, so expressions of interest please by 10th April at the latest please.

If there aren't enough people interested then the deal probably won't go through, but worth a try.

Starcom webpage here

http://www.starcom1.com/

And kit details here;

http://www.starcom1.com/kitcar-handsfree-systems.html

Peter

Can I go down as a maybe? I'm in the market for something like this but just need a few days to assess options as it doesn't look cheap.

@Peter De La Mare - I'm just going to call them. I tried looking at the website but there is such a myriad of options and accessories I was non-the-wiser, only that you're probably looking at £200-250 upwards depending on what you want.

Peter

The only way is to phone them up, like I said, their website is less than crystal clear, and you need to talk to them to be certain of what you want.

Smiffy, ok as a maybe, but I will be closing this off by 10 April as I have an urgent need for a kit to save Mrs Peter G's hearing and consequently my blatting ability.

This may help after I emailed for prices, obviously doesn't include any bulk discount

Their reply follows:-

Thanks for your kit car enquiry.

I’m pleased to provide a system quote:

Starcom1 Advance Hub: £179

Headsets (Peltor style): £95 x 2 = £190

Bluetooth dongle (BTM-02A) for wireless connection to GPS/Ssmartphone for calls and music: £79 *

Total = £448 + postage

*optional

The Advance system has an excellent noise cancelling and the hub can be located in the front cabin or boot of the car. For car-2- car communication you will require our RAD Kit-E, comprising a Kenwood radio, push to talk button and connection cable. This will provide a range of approx. 0.75 miles and is £100. The Peltor headsets come in yellow or grey.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I've been looking into alternatives just to get a broader understanding of the technology and what is available, but I didn't think it was worth starting a new thread in tecktalk for it. Hopefully it might help other members who are looking into an intercom assess their needs/requirements.

After contacting a few online retailers/suppliers, practically all have suggested the same items:

Terratrip Professional Practice Headsets £60 x 2

Terratrip Professional Intercom Amplifier £62

VAT = £36.40

Total = £218.40

Now that is a massive leap (£230) from the Starcom quote above. The obvious difference between the two kits is the Bluetooth functionality, which would be good to have a wireless connection from music source and, less importantly for me anyway, take calls through the headset (I think I'd still prefer to stop to make calls anyway).

So what else is there to justify the £230 extra for the Starcom kit?

Can you get a bluetooth compatible kit in the £200-250 price range??

Terratrips are very basic units, and I know a couple of owners who've suffered from problematic interference, to the point where one person had to redesign and rebuilt most of the circuitry.

Similar situation with PMR radios for car-to-car comms. I know a few members who bought the cheapie "domestic" versions  and were disappointed with the drop out when movingb and limited range.

It's a bit like everything, you get what you pay for.