Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ZZR, ZZS and wing stays?

Julian H

Hi

I currently use 13" CR500s. Assuming I need to change to ZZS [for on road], and a second set of wheels with ZZR for track, am I going to need to change my front wingstays?

My current 175 fronts [on 6" anthracite 8 spoke wheels] are only around 8.5mm away. 

Cheers

Standard wings will be fine. The race wings don't have the facility to thread a side repeater wire down the tube (there's no hole for it to come out through) and I think they are slightly lower than normal but I don't have any to compare with (so possibly not able to clear a taller tyre like the Academy CR322s). Other than that they look just the same, satin black, they fit the same. To the untrained eye I expect they'd look identical.

I found that the standard wingstays put the wing quite a long way from the tyre with a CR500 - too big a gap. So I had mine 'cut and shut' so they site snugly around a CR500 but they couldn't then take a ZZR! So I've just gone to race stays which will take either tyre and hopefully won't sit as high as the standard ones do.

So the much shorter answer to your question is that if you have standard or race wing stays and standard wings then you'll be able to fit the 185/55 R13 ZZRs.

Hi Julian, sorry to be off topic but if you're getting ZZS's and have the opportunity to weigh them before fitting I'd be interested to know the result. My recent ZZR's were heavier than I thought (I'm led to believe the design was beefed up last year) so I'm curious about the ZZS's. Thanks.

Just got my feeler gauges out to measure the gap, at the closest point (the rear stay) there is 5.1mm clearance on mine, I'll stick some photos up later. I never weighed the ZZRs but when loading them into my boot they did feel noticeably heavier than the CR500s that I loaded at the same time. 

Morning gents.

5.1mm away sounds okay. I wonder if my wingstays have been fitted incorrectly since logic tells me, mine would be closer with ZZx. I'll have a post-blat look later this morning. 

Regarding the weight thing, I am a little unsure what to do. If I can still get CR500 I think I should? Was thinking later designed ZZS should be better but if they are heavier I'm not so sure. It's daft, CC proclaim new lighter wheel for 2014 (the Apollo) but then we fit heavier tyres *whistle*

J

Cards on the table J, I probably bought ZZR's because they looked "racecar!" as much as anything else, and wonder if I'd notice if they were each a kg lighter, such is my ability. Whatever you choose, they're consumables so you'll get another go at some point.

Hi

This morning I nipped down to CC (main reason was to take back a flawed diamond cut Apollo wheel *frown* ) and had a good look at several cars running ZZR (same profile as ZZS) and a chat with eternally helpful Dominic. We had a look at wingstays together, including my own, and established I am not going to have a problem. Also, I had a chance to look at both ZZS and CR500 fronts. Conclusion, the ZZS are slightly heavier. But they look so good like you say, so will get a set when they are available *yes*

J