Click here if you are having website access problems ×

CTEK failure

OliW

My Ctek charger seems to have died, in that when I plug it in it shows power, but when I use the 'set' button to set a mode it refuses to budge from the standby position.

The problem has been getting steadily worse.  It used to switch mode immediately, then after 10 seconds, then a bit longer and now not at all.

Does anyone have experience of a failed Ctek?

Thanks,

Oli

Funny you should mention that as I had the same thing happen to me on Friday.  The CTEK has always been fine at changing settings, then on friday it just would not change.  I disconnected the connection from the car and it changed ok.  So I plugged it back in and it changed ok.  I put it down to user error.  Hopefully it's not on the way out as I've only had it 14 months.

I had exactly the same problem with mine. Fine for a while and then started playing up by not doing anything when you hit the button. The warranty is brilliant. I returned it to where I originally bought it and new one, a slightly updated model, arrived a few days later. Just looking up on the shelves in the office, there's a big 5-year warranty splashed across the box and it's an MXS3.6. I'm sure the old model was a 3600 or something.

Right, I'm bored of trying to do some work this late at night, so I dug out an old email that I sent to get a working replacement. I bought my charger, a Multi XS 3600, from an eBay trader in March 2011. I returned it to them in May 2013 and a new MSX3.6 came a week later. Touch wood it has been reliable so far. I think a fresh 5-year warranty comes with the new charger.

When I returned mine due a similar fault after 2 years of usgae, I returned the charger and the extra connector. A couple of weeks later, I was asked to return, the storage bag (the black sac). OK, no problem I did that but again a couple of weeks later I was asked to return the box. I wrote a strong letter of complain and they "kindly" agreed for a replacement without returning the box. 

Ahmed