Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Simple Electrickery connector question?

Andy Lef

Good Morning,

I am just replacing the sidelight bulb holders in my SVC 5 3/4 lights from halogen bulb holder to LED bulb holders and bought these - good to go (i thought *clap* ), however, I can't seem to find any simple plug in connectors to wire in the existing wires (the original male - female connectors are the wrong fit) so there is a snug watertight seal. 

I do not really want to go down the solder and seal route.

Does anyone any "good ideas" *idea* on how to make the connection either with a suitable pre-made connector or something different but not too technical.

Many thanks  *bow*

Andy

OK - I was perhaps being overly cautious but what I really want to know is how am I going to connect the new LED bulb holder to the exisiting wiring.  The existing connectors are too big to fit.

Any wise words of wisdom from electrical wizards?  I am trying to avoid too many bodges *smash* on the car - even if they do work most of the time........ *rofl*

Andy

So this is the end for which there isn't a connector?

http://my.frooition.com/080026/images/501holder2.jpg

If no-one recognises it I'd email the picture and dimensions to as many suppliers as possible, including PoleVolt. 

I emailed the eBay vendor to ask if they can supply the mating connector, but got a reply to say they can't.

Jonathan

Andy, it looks like that has a pair of mini male spade connections. Can you measure the width of one of them? 

Standard female crimp spades generally come in 2.8mm, 4.8mm or 6.3mm widths, so if yours is one of those you can probably use an appropriate insulated red crimp female spade (eg type R02 here).

I say "probably" as the insulated shroud may be slightly too large to fit in the back of the lampholder, however, the clear covers for uninsulated crimps (eg this 2.8mm size) are slightly thinner so may fit better. The clear ones don't use the "standard" electricians red/blue/yellow insulated crimp tool, but you can manually crimp the metal part with long nose pliers and then solder to make a good joint, and slide the clear cover over (having remembered to thread it onto the wire first *mad* *wink* ). 

That looks a lot like an AMP junior timer connector, in which case there will be an equivalent socket that will come with a set of crimpable pins for your existing wires and a seal boot.

If i can do a link in this brave new world this looks like the part you may need: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/GENUINE-2-PIN-FEMALE-JUNIOR-POWER-TIMER-CONNECTOR-PLUG-KIT-FUEL-INJECTOR-CARGO-/181361072003 If it doesnt work just look for 2 pin female junior timer and it should get you there.