Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Avon Cr322 vs Michelin MXT . .

DaveMorris

And I REALLY DO apologise for another tyre thread. I've only been a member for 5 months and must have seen at least 10/month. But, obviously, there's lots of people like me who need the expert opinion of you who are more experienced

SO :-

Which is the worst. ? (I can't ask which are the best really can I )

I currently have Avon CR322's 185x70 R13's, but due to a bit of a panic under braking 😳 the front two have a couple of flat spots.

I have a couple of unused Michelin MXT's - is there any mjor problem in fitting the MXT's to the rear and putting the (still well treaded) Avons on the front. 🤔

OR am I asking for real problems by mixing these 🤔

(Note - this is a short term thing as spring finances should allow 021's and a set of minilite rims to be purchased).

Dave.

p.s. - anyone looking to rid themselves of a set (or even a couple) of black 13" minilites could also reply (he adds hopefully).

In the short term you could ask if any of the Academy guys have any going cheap, it's the end of the season so ther should be some going for a tenner each or less.

I wouldn't mix tyres on a seven although I know someone who mixes Falkens and Goodyears on 16" rims, but I wouldn't like to have different levels of grip front/rear, it's just asking for trouble.

Roy

See willfly.net for more info.

If you don't spin you ain't trying *smile*

I do not know about the Avons, but the MXT's were complete rubbish. My worry would be that in an emergency braking situation with MXTs on the rear that you would lock up the rears first and do a handbrake turn 😳

Also MXTs have not been available for a few years so the rubber will probably be even harder than I remember.

Low tech luddite - xflow and proud!

Edited by - Graham Sewell on 14 Jan 2003 08:24:48

The Graduates lap times didn't massively change when we moved from MXTs to CR322s a couple of years ago, so not a lot of difference between them. I would say the MXTs had a bit more ultimate grip, but broke away suddenly at the limit. The CR322s don't seem to have as much grip but you can slide them around a lot more.

You probably don't want to hear this, but I threw out a load of part worn CR322s a week ago 😳. Maybe try posting on the Grads site (www.graduates.org.uk) to see if anyone's got any worn tyres?

• 2 weeks later...

I currently have 12 (!) CR322's in this size loafing in the garage, last year's race dry set, race wet set, and trackday/road set. I'm selling the better ones for 10-£15 each but you could have the most used four for peanuts, they are cluttering up the garage! (I'm in Winchester).

They are fairly worn but well legal, and they work far better in the dry with low tread anyway.

They are very hard wearing tyres, in the dry you'll still run rings around non-sevens on the track - and learn from their progressive nature and comparatively low grip.

Personally I'd never mix tyre types on any performace car. I almost spun an Alfa once as a result of differing treads and I'm not willing to try it again!