Click here if you are having website access problems ×

aeroscreen or race screen?

Has anyone gone from a full aeroscreen to just the drivers side Perspex race screen? I currently have both and in a dilemma which to actually fit to the car. The aero has gaps under it and the single race screen fits better but leaves the passenger half of the front of the tonneau completely exposed. An arm injury prevents me from driving at the moment but I was impressed with the wind protection of the race screen.

• Area Representative

I swapped from a JPE style screen to the older style single race screen. I sit low in the car, and could not see the top of the LHS front cycle wing when I fitted lower wings, through the opaque JPE screen.

I also find the wind protection better with the race screen.

With no screen on the passenger side, I found the tonneau lifting at speed, so I fitted an additional fixing in the centre of the LHS. Additionally, I use "pull the dot" directional poppers on the leading edge (see here. With no other seal, I don't find weather protection a particular issue.

Edited by - Richard Price on 3 Sep 2014 10:02:10

I moved from a full-width JPE-style to a home-grown equivalent of the drivers race screen around a decade ago.

The car currently has a combination of two-inch wide heavy Velcro across the leading edge of the passenger tonneau - as well as some 'one way' fasteners (the post-and-hole variety) that can only be undone in one direction.

The combination of these is sufficient to keep the tonneau in place upto v-max - I'd recommend having at least one one-way fastener on the trailing edge (arranged the other way around) to maintain tension along the zip - the downwards pressure on the tonneau can be enough to undo the back end of the tonneau otherwise.

After many years of use, if/when I prettify the car, I will ditch the Velcro for a string of one-way fasteners as it is tricky to attach the upper Velcro strip to the tonneau itself.

Ok guys,that's fab and I think I'm going to go race screen in preference to full width aero. They look nicer, neater and much easier to take to a track if a full windscreen is normally fitted. Do you rivnut the side mirrors to the scuttle or are you all running cages?

Mix.

Mine are riv-nutted to the scuttle at the moment, but I fitted a full cage a couple of weeks back and the passenger-side mirror is now obscured. I use a roll-cage clamp for the center mirror on my other 7 and will do the same now for the pax mirror.

My home-grown screen uses the same riv-nut mounts for the side of the screen as for the mirror. You will probably find that you need a foam pad under the mirror mount to help stiffen it up - a better solution would be a contoured hard spacer - but that was beyond me at the time.

Pics of my install here